Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 08-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thumbs up 1st Bonito trip - Hydro Metal question

Drove down from NH yesterday to the Cape and took a buddy of mine for his first ever trip for Bonito (and my first of the year).

As mentioned in a another thread the conditions were pretty sloppy. Weather reports said 8 mph from the North with seas 1 to 2 feet. Was more like 10-15 mph with 20 mph gust and 2 to 5 foot seas at times. At least they got the wind direction correct.

OTW by 5:30 AM. Made the trek over to MV to the usual bonito spots. No one there when we got there but when the scheduled high tide came nearer, that's when the place got busier with boat traffic. As if right on queue, so did the bonito. Tried the patience game for awhile but it looked like everyone was running and gunning to the schools, so had to do the same. Had at least 6 really good oppurtunities with fish busting within casting distance.

When I was upwind from the busting fish I reached for the rod with the sluggo. Hooked up twice but lost both of them.

When I was downwind from the busting fish I reached for the rod with the Yozuri Hydro metal (2.5" in green mackerel). Hooked up twice with this lure and was able to boat one of them. So I guess it was a successful trip to at least boat one fish, though I wish my buddy was able to land one. He had two hits but no hook-ups.

I had two of those Hydro metals but lost on when my bail flipped back over in mid cast and the tention just snapped the line.

QUESTION: On the hydro metals - do you just tie those straight to your line with no swivel, clip or split ring? Out of the package there isn't any of these "options" with the lure.

I had never fished with these before and I didn't know if they were swimming correctly tied straight to the line. With the first one I had, I attached it to a swivel/clip. That's the one that broke. The second one I just tied the line straight to the lure (that's the one that I hooked into the fish).

Just ordered some more online since the tackle store I originally bought them were out of stock. I bought the last two that they had.

Thanks in advance and thanks to all who had reports out so it could help me find those Bonita. Heading back down next Wednesday and the weekend "after" Labor day. Do you think the Albies will be around then??

Quit Wishin, Go Fishing!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:28 PM

My first trip to the Vineyard was the week after Labor Day '00. Albies pretty consistent mornings at Starbucks Neck.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:51 PM

If I were you I would stick to metal over plastic such as sluggo's,your hook up rate will be almost 100 percent!
Bones tend to grab the tails of plastic with their teeth then you think hooked up oh no they open their mouth on lost bone,trust me your catch ratio will dramaticaly improve.
I like swedish pimples.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:19 PM
hobbyshop

I use 2-3ft. of fluorocarbon tippet material as a leader tied directly to a split-ring on the lure. If the lure doen't have a ring swap one off another. I think the swimming action is improved with one on. I try to stay as minimal as possible with bonito and albies so I never use a swivel.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:46 PM
If It Swims I'll Catch It

I have always tied directly to hydro metals. This has worked for fish up to 50#. I use a bowline knot to create a loop so the lure swims as it wants to.

The hydro metal is by far my favorite metal. I wish they were still easily available in the US.

The World's Foremost Authority on My Own Opinion

Last edited by Ray; 08-28-2008 at 05:02 PM..
Old 08-29-2008, 07:20 AM

Hydro Metal

I got some nice Hydro knock-offs on Ebay, dirt cheap. There are a lot of them in all different patterns.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

I put them right to a Fluoro leader also...
The action when you stop reeling is like the "fluttering" for a dying fish & I think what makes this Lure Killer (Note, I caught my Only SBFT tuna last year on one!)

Where are you ordering from? I have not been able to find them anywhere & Id did not even see them on the Zori web-site, so I assumed that they stopped making them. I am running out of my inventory...

Finally, the smallest size (17 grm?) has a Very Light Wire hook. If you use this size for tunoids (or Tuna) Upgrade the Hook!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:22 AM
If It Swims I'll Catch It

The hydro metal is also sold internationally under the name DUEL AILE.

The World's Foremost Authority on My Own Opinion
Old 08-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thanks for all the replies, it gives me a better clue on how to present them.

As for the order I made, got an email informing me that they were all out of stock and no longer made (like you all mentioned before). Gonna look into alternates..

Thanks again..