Forum Navigation

Search

Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Knuckle Buster

Chesapeake striper spawn

Thought this was cool from another board.

The spawn was on in a MAJOR way yesterday (Sunday) morning at the south end of the flats. I've never seen anything like it. Countless LARGE females rolling on the surface each with at least 10 males (2 to 15 pounds) "harrassing" them. They were actually swimming up against my boat, probably trying to spawn with it. My depth finder was COMPLETELY solid. Believe or not, I actually was able to grab a 30-40 pound class rockfish by the tail at the side of the boat, and get my other hand under its belly to try and lift it up, she didnt like that too much, and tail whipped me before swimming away.

IT WAS CRAZY! And they wanted nothing to do with eating, with the exception of 4 of them in the mid-twenty pound range, which were each followed in to the boat by packs of horny males. By the way, we did get to boat a couple big girls on Saturday, including a 42 and a 48 pounder.

The spawning yesterday was a true spectacle of nature, that only extensive time on the water (in most cases) will give you the opportunity to observe. All I can say is WOW.

Knuckle Buster