Forum Navigation

Search

Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Chatham Fisherman

looking for a new line

Hey,

I'm looking to replace the 350 gr full sink on my 9 weight. I've had good luck with orvis line in the past and found a deal on their "density compensated sinking line" Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between the density compensated and say their depth charge line? The DC line doesn't list the grain but it says 5.5 to 6.5 sink rate so that seems like a 350 to me.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Team Slay

airflo over orvis

I respect your opinion on the orvis line, but i've had issues with premature cracking as well as memory issues with 2 orvis saltwater lines.

I have the airflo 300 and 400 and they are GREAT. the 300 has lasted longer than anticipated and the 400 is new and has been great this season.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Chatham Fisherman

I've heard good things about the airflow it's just that I found a deal on this line but I can't figure out the difference between it and the other Orvis lines.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:23 PM

I have used and still use the Orvis DC and have had no problems with it. I think the difference is that this is a full sinking line rather than a fast sinking head with an intermediate running line like the Depth Charge lines Orvis makes. It has held up way better than other orvis lines and I have had no trouble casting it with 9 and 10 weights. I had issues with other orvis saltwater lines as well.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:32 PM

I believe the density compensating lines you are refering to are a WF line normally used for stillwaters. I have used them for years and just purchased the Orvis DC line for a trip to British Columbia for brook trout on Fortress Lake. They are very popular in the stillwater scene. The 350 grain depth charge lines, I believe, are a shooting taper. The head is 350 grains and will likely be attached to an intermediate running line. They will load and cast much further than the DC line.

The DC lines are used in freshwater to prevent the hinge that used to form in the older sinking lines. For stillwater applications the takes are sometimes very soft and the angler must be in direct contact with the fly.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Orvis density comp

Mike, I just bought one for my nine weight and I have to tell you the line just does not load up the rod, I don't think you will be happy. Not sure what one you want. I have the type III.

My floating line loads my rod better.

I would look at the shooting heads if I were you.

Last edited by bonefishdick; 08-14-2009 at 11:19 AM..