Forum Navigation

Search

Old 11-13-2005, 08:14 AM

Question Fishing Spot Launch Questions

Hi, I bought a kayak to fish from this season and for a host of reasons I did not get to use it much at all. I have a two-prong plan to address this shortcoming this off-season.
The first is to rig the yak so it is ready to go at a moments notice. I was going to work on it during the season but with 3 kids and an over demanding job any precious free time I had went to actual fishing.
The second front of attack is to plan out launch points and specific fishing targets. Last year I usually just dragged the yak across Wollaston beach and fished Quincy Bay. Now I am pouring over a nautical chart of Boston Harbor picking out likely targets of opportunity. Which brings me to my question: Is it bad form to ask about put-ins to access certain fishing spots? I am compiling a list of place I want to try and fish from a yak but I don't want to bum anyone out by posting them.
I am hoping to really join the yak fishermen this upcoming season and I want to use this off-season to get myself as squared away as possible.
Thanks for any and all advice. Bob
Old 11-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

Quote:
Is it bad form to ask about put-ins to access certain fishing spots?
Not to ask but advertising some of the smaller ones is a no no. I found most of mine by just driving around with a good map. Arrow makes a great map.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:46 AM

Talking Good old fashioned recon

I am going to just get a fresh Arrow map atlas, spend the off season driving around to beaches and launches and mark it all up over the winter.
I kind of figured posting questions in the open about places I was thinking would be good fishing could bum some people out anyhow.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:37 AM
The truth is out there...

You might want to try sending some PMs to fellow yak fishers. Yakkers can be friendly sorts--there is safety in numbers.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

Since most yaks are easy enough to portage, the only real issue is figuring out where you want to be OTW and then finding leagal parking within paddling distance. It never hurts to check with the local PD if you have a question about parking. Regs are not always posted as well as they could be.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:
the only real issue is figuring out where you want to be OTW and then finding leagal parking within paddling distance
Sam hit this on the head.
Get a Chart of the area you want to fish near.Find the fishy structre that holds fish.Then find the parking with a good map and some driving around .
Some spots you cant get near by day are easy pickings at night.Just get out before sun up.A cart that stows in your yak also helps.Down in NY near the city we had to park a couple of blocks away and sneak in at night with carts.
Good Luck
JoeV
Old 11-18-2005, 04:19 PM

Look for legal parking and bring a set of rollers. If you don't see any signs then plan accordingly. Some areas have "questionable signage" about who/what/where to park. At best you'll get a "Courtesy Ticket" from the local PD or Authority in Question... Worst case equals a BIG FAT TOWING BILL :mad:
Old 11-19-2005, 10:20 AM

Parking

It is the parking that I really want to figure out.
I hate being on the water wondering if your ride is going to be there when you get back. And the thing that really makes things interesting is how the parking regs will change from off season to on season sometimes with no signage or anything.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:19 AM

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/pab/pab_table2.htm Here is a link to the public access board launch sites. Ct also has one of these public access boards on line. This should help you . FishHawk
Old 11-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Spoiled by Tuna

For the most part the parking regs can be figured out with a little common sense and some looking around. There will almost always be signage if there are restrictions. Asking locals is always a good bet too. If you are friendly and respectful when you approach someone, they will usually tell you what is cool and what is not, regardless of what the posted regs say.

The carts are a good idea but I really only used mine a couple of times in the beginning. For the most part, I can pull up to the launch, dump the yak and then drive to the parking spot.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:44 PM

Here's another link-interactive

http://www.appgeo.com/atlas/project_.../czmat_fr.html
Old 11-22-2005, 10:01 AM

I don't think it is bad form to ask. People don't have to tell if they don't want to share. Don't be afraid to ask a direct question. I want to fish "xyz", where is a good launch spot? Most people are happy to help.