Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 08-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Japanese Fish Could Delay Space Shuttle Launch

Japanese fish might foul shuttle launch

Key cargo flight must lift off before season starts

BY TODD HALVORSON FLORIDA TODAY August 5, 2009
  • Shuttle Discovery safely reached its Kennedy Space Center launch pad Tuesday and it now faces a launch deadline dictated by congested traffic at the International Space Station and the fishing season off the coast of Japan.
Discovery and seven astronauts are tentatively scheduled to blast off at 1:36 a.m. Aug. 25 on a space station outfitting mission.

NASA still must fix a faulty booster rocket steering system, but officials think Discovery will be ready to fly on time.
"We definitely believe that with the work we know we have ahead of us right now, we can make this launch window," NASA Discovery Flow Manager Stephanie Stilson said.

But if Discovery delays past Sept. 3, NASA would yield for the debut launch on Sept. 10 of a robotic Japanese space freighter that will play a critical station resupply role after the planned 2010 retirement of NASA's shuttle fleet.

A Russian crew rotation mission will block traffic to the station between Sept. 21 and Sept. 28. So Japan only will have launch opportunities from Sept. 10 through Sept. 20, and Sept. 29 and Sept. 30, before a month long cutout for fishing season.

Japan's Tanegashima Space Center is located on Tanegashima Island at the southern end of the East Asian archipelago. In the event of launch failures, wreckage would fall into the Pacific Ocean in an area where the nation's fishing industry and its powerful unions operate. So launches from Tanegashima are limited during peak fishing seasons, one of which stretches throughout the October.

The next opportunity to launch the Japanese HTV cargo carrier would come between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31. Discovery's rollout Tuesday had been delayed a day while engineers analyzed the apparent failure of a valve on the steering system of the shuttle's left solid rocket booster.
NASA plans to swap out the valve, an associated auxiliary power unit and a hydraulic pump -- work that likely can be squeezed into an otherwise tight processing schedule.

NASA has to wedge its seven remaining shuttle missions into an increasingly intricate traffic pattern at the station.

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/

Last edited by Onshore; 08-06-2009 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: To correct a grievious error.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:45 AM

Bill, I tried sending this via PM, but as you apparently have chosen to disallow PMs, am posting here. Hope my words are not taken the wrong way, but this is something I feel I need to convey.

Hiya Bill,

I'm fairly sure it wasn't anything more than an oversight, but I have a request. If you wouldn't mind, I'd greatly appreciate it if you took the time to add the extra 5 letters to your use of 'Jap' in one of your recent (and any future) posts. Please understand that I'm not trying to be an arse or confrontational in any way, but it's for some an offensive slur reminiscent of past hatred and discrimination. I am of part ethnic Japanese heritage (paternal), with a generation of family American born, yet with ~110,000 other *American citizens* and legal resident aliens still suffered several years of goobermint sponsored internment/imprisonment during WWII as a result of racial intolerance and wartime hysteria. They spent 3+ years in desert prison camps (not to mention losing everything they could not carry). Of those who were stripped of their rights guaranteed under the Constitution of the United States of America was my Dad--who after his release ironically spent a 30+ year career designing weapons of war on behalf of the US gov't in the name of national security. As such, it's a bit of a sore spot for me, and frankly, I include myself in those offended by the term. My Japanese-immigrant side has been here ~100 years; I don't think it's asking too much to be a bit more respectful. I'd ask the same on behalf of any racial/ethnic group, BTW.

That all said, interesting article.

Thanks for understanding (I am making an assumption here),

Leighton

Last edited by --username-deleted--; 08-12-2009 at 01:39 AM..
Old 08-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhonda View Post
Bill, I tried sending this via PM, but as you apparently have chosen to disallow PMs, am posting here. Hope my words are not taken the wrong way, but this is something I feel I need to convey.

Hiya Bill,

I'm fairly sure it wasn't anything more than an oversight, but I have a request. If you wouldn't mind, I'd greatly appreciate it if you took the time to add the extra 5 letters to your use of 'Jap' in one of your recent (and any future) posts. Please understand that I'm not trying to be an arse or confrontational in any way, but it's for some an offensive slur reminiscent of past hatred and discrimination. I am of part ethnic Japanese heritage (paternal), with a generation of family American born, yet with ~110,000 other *American citizens* and legal resident aliens still suffered several years of goobermint sponsored internment/imprisonment during WWII as a result of racial intolerance and wartime hysteria. They spent 3+ years in desert prison camps (not to mention losing everything they could not carry). Of those who were stripped of their rights guaranteed under the Constitution of the United States of America was my Dad--who after his release ironically spent a 30+ year career designing weapons of war on behalf of the US gov't in the name of national security at MITRE/LL--as well as 5 members of my family. As such, it's a bit of a sore spot for me, and frankly, I include myself in those offended by the term. My Japanese-immigrant side has been here 100+ years; I don't think it's asking too much to be a bit more respectful. I'd ask the same on behalf of any racial/ethnic group, BTW.

That all said, interesting article.

Thanks for understanding (I am making an assumption here),

Leighton
Leighton,
Thanks for pointing out my error.
I did not intentionally mean to slur the Japanese people for which I do have respect.

I do get PMs from others so, don't know what went wrong with yours.

Anyway, I deserved to have this pointed out to me on the public forum.

Bill

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 AM

Very well handled guys.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onshore View Post
Leighton,
Thanks for pointing out my error.
I did not intentionally mean to slur the Japanese people for which I do have respect.

I do get PMs from others so, don't know what went wrong with yours.

Anyway, I deserved to have this pointed out to me on the public forum.

Bill
Thank you kindly, Bill; I truly appreciate it.

As far as your PMs, when I clicked to submit mine to you (it was around 4:00 am), I got a *large* bolded text message on the Pm page that read, "Sorry, Onshore has elected not to receive private messages". Never seen it before. Internet gremlins at work, no doubt.

Best,

L
Old 08-06-2009, 05:13 PM

Leighton and Bill,
The depth of my japanese heritage is obvious from my name! But my daughter's name is Miyoko Fujii Patricelli!!! And yes, when I saw that I cringed, having picked up from my wife's family the consistency with which they react to that. Virtually ALL of my extensive extended family were put in internment camps (for 4 YEARS!!) during WWII, most of them native born american citizens. 4 days notice, only what they could carry in 1 suitcase/person, surrounded by a mostly hostile population ready to feast of the fire sale of houses, land, all the accumulated wealth of 1-2 generations in the US. In some cases anglo friends and neighbors did save the family houses and farms and return them after the war, but those were the exceptions. This "sensitivity" is much more than shallow, mindless "political correctness". It is seen as meaningless and shallow by some, usually those NOT under the umbrella of the term, but for many others it is part of a process of "othering". As in drawing distinctions between "us" and those "others". And the steps to discriminate on those "others" becomes progresively easier as the code-word terms are accepted.

I know Bill meant no offense, and took the education graciously, and Leighton can and did defend himself gracefully. I post this only so that others will know that it is not just the Leighton Honda's who are "sensitive" to those types of terms, and why.

http://www.flyfishingfotography.com

http://flyfishingfotography.smugmug.com/

Here's looking at you...kid

Old 08-06-2009, 05:26 PM

My bad, Now I must apologize to Leighton, as I did nor read his whole post before firing off myself. I just ended up repeating what Leighton said in full.

Note to self...read WHOLE post before responding. Otherwise the tooth marks on ones leg end up being one's own!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:21 PM

Leighton,
I don't want to show disrespect to Bill by completely hijacking his thread. I will email.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatricelli View Post
Leighton,
I don't want to show disrespect to Bill by completely hijacking his thread. I will email.
Understood and agree. Sorry about that, Bill.

L
Old 08-11-2009, 02:11 PM

Ok thanks Onshore.

Adam Carollla interviewed George Takei on his podcast for a much more humorous angle on the history described above. Red States and Blue States should enjoy it equally.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:46 PM

Wow. From potential shuttle cancellation, around the horn a bit and landing back on Star Trek. Yep, I believe we've come full circle on this one, kids.

L

P.S. Takei really freaks me out, on many different levels. I'm a-skeered to open that one...
Old 08-13-2009, 10:21 AM

Thanks to who ever changed the title. Domo Arigato mr. robot-o.

L. It's a good interview because Ace keeps Takei on the "straight and narrow," sort of. Between the two of them I think they get it right, at least with regard to the internment camp section of the interview.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

[QUOTE=fatkenny;271910]Thanks to who ever changed the title. Domo Arigato mr. robot-o.
QUOTE]

Our moderator, Chowdah Bob changed it when he found me floundering around trying to do so.
Thanks, Bob.