Forum Navigation

Search

Old 09-26-2009, 07:48 AM
New Reel-Timer

Crane beach....

Greetings, I have recently moved to the north shore area and have been fishing crane's beach when I have time time. I relatively new to the salt water game, but have managed a few nice fish so far...My question is about line type, Crane seems to be pretty shallow even at high tide, and though everything I've read says that intermediate line is the general rule for most beach fishing, when I fish an intermediate line here, anything less than an extremely fast retrieve results in the fly dragging along the bottom. My instincts tell me to use a longer leader, weighted flies, and floating line....Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Dredging

I think you have answered your own question, I have never fished Cranes so I really can't say what to do, but from what you have described , a Floating Line may be the way to go.

I do most of my fishing with an intermediate from the beach's on the Cape and I would have to say that from High to Low the Cape beaches can have as much as a 6 or 7 foot drop.

A long leader about 9 ft will make a big difference as well as unweighted flies also making a big difference. The other factor to consider is the size hook you use, a good size hook to use is a size 1/0 or size 1, no need to go any larger.