Forum Navigation

Search

Old 02-08-2010, 09:04 AM

Naples

I know that the Snook and Tarpon took a beating from the cold and the weather in the near future doesn't look great, but was wondering if the cold weather has had any adverse effects on the Jacks this winter.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Sponsor

Jacks...

Like a lot of other species the jacks where I'm at (flamingo's interior, mostly) took a real beating in the interior, with many small dead to go with the dead ladyfish, catfish, etc.. For two weeks I didn't come across one in the interior, but on Sunday all that changed with the usual jacks showing along with some large ladies as far inland as Whitewater Bay... Although that's a ways from Naples, I figure that there's still tons of jacks, ladies, pompano (we caught a large one in the interior on Sunday), speckled trout, and redfish in fine shape. Any small ones wiped out by the cold will be replaced by the great numbers of them that stayed just out of harm's way in a bit deeper water. By the way, the redfish and the trout didn't seem bothered at all by the cold conditions we were finding them in good numbers within just five days of the coldest weather - all in the shallows as well... If I was in the Naples area at the end of this month I'd be looking for birds - they'll know exactly where the schools of jacks and other fast moving critters are concentrated...
Old 02-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Sponsor

Jacks

It is a good man who cares about the Jacks. Also a man after my own heart. In my area around Charlotte Harbor and Pine Island Sound most of the big jacks, but not all, head offshore at this time of year. We often find them around the wrecks and such places 25-125 miles offshore. This means that many of them made it. I did see tons of dead jacks inshore. Many small ones mixed with the same species that Captain Lemay mentioned in the Flamingo area. I still have not really seen a ladyfish inshore. Maybe that is good. I have seen Snook, Reds, Tarpon, Trout, Grouper, Sheepshead, Flounder, Pompano, and sharks inshore in the last week.

Weather Needs to get good and the fishing will get GREAT !

www.flyfishsalt.com
Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the help. I am heading down to Naples Friday to Wednesday - right in the middle of the next cold front... I fish primarily in the canals by Port Royal and look for anything to pull back - I've had a tough time finding anything that pulls harder or is more fun to get riled up than a school of jacks. Hoping there is some hungry life in the canals or on the beaches this weekend.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Sponsor

reds and trout

with your trip coming up so soon (and it is 50 degrees right now), you might want to rent a kayak and paddle in from the Marco Island Bridge. I think Reds and Trout are the best bet right now. There is super shallow water that is out of the wind and you can stalk reds in the early am around low tide.

www.flyfishsalt.com
Old 02-10-2010, 05:48 PM

jacks

can you eat jacks?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Sponsor

eating...

Yes, you can eat them - but they're strong tasting. I like them turned into salad makings like tuna fish... Here's the recipe:
Filet, and skin, remove center red meat leaving only white meat. Prepare a skillet for poaching (just enough water to cover filets, with crab boil or seasonings of choice) then simmer at 10 minutes per pound. When cooked, remove filets, allow to cool, then pat dry. The last step is a tiny bit of olive oil rubbed into surface of filets - then into the ice box, covered, for 24 hours. To prepare (like tunafish) for salad, flake with fork and you're in business. The result is better than any canned tuna, with a very mild flavor. Just don't tell anyone that it was a jack since most will not believe it....
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 AM

Just got back from Naples and was pleasantly surprised. Found receptive snook on a lot of the docks in the canals and they were under the lights as well. Monday and Wednesday had the best weather and the best fishing, but ended u with 4 snook and 4 jacks yesterday, and 8 snook, 14 jacks and a ladyfish in 4 days of a couple hours a day. Fish fell to flies and small soft plastics on jig-heads. Looking forward to getting back down there in April.

Did witness a pretty neat dolphin feeding. The guy in the picture caught up with this poor sheepshead and proceeded to play around with him in the middle of the canal for a while. Pretty cool to watch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2161059.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	15428   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2161056.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	15429   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2151024a.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	15430  
Old 02-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thanks for posting that and glad you had a good trip.

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/
Old 02-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Sponsor

Naples report

Great report, glad you a good trip.... Those dolphin are just plain tough. I've actually had one bump my push pole in two feet of water as he came by to take a snook right in front of me.... They just don't fool around when it comes to feeding.