Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New York & New Jersey

Old 11-22-2011, 07:20 AM

New Life for an old Long Island party fishing boat

The Sea Star was built in 1965 in Deltaville, Virginia, a town known for its boatbuilding heritage. While the period between her launch and the early 1980s remains foggy, I discovered that she served as an open fishing boat called the Speedy Jr., based in Captree, New York, beginning in the mid-Ď80s. After several years in Captree she was renamed the Capt. James and relocated to Huntington, New York, where she hosted fishing parties in Long Island Sound for about 6 years before returning to Captree as the Captree Princess for 2 more years.

Tim Gover confirmed that the boat was indeed seaworthy, but needed some work to meet Coast Guard passenger-vessel requirements. After a short stop in Boston, the Govers were bringing her to Cape Ann for the winter, to be worked on by the shipwrights at Gloucester Marine Railways. If all went according to schedule, the Sea Star would be running flounder trips and ferrying tourists to the Boston Harbor islands by spring of 2012.

http://boatinglocal.com/videos/sea-s...ine-again.html

If I can figure out how to post the YouTube video, I'll post that too.