Forum Navigation

Search

Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 PM

exploring the keys

My brother and I are planning to take a trip to the keys in the future. Were both experienced fly fisherman and are looking for a little change of scenery from Maine. Our plan is to spend a week exploring the keys and fishing for absolutely whatever will take a fly. cuda's, jacks, small sharks , snapper , Baby tarpon, redish, bones, whatever!!!! as long as it hits and pulls we dont care.
That being said we'd naturally love to get some baby Tarpon, bones, permit but are from from choosy.
We have no problem hiring guides and intend to do so for a couple of days but also want to DIY and will either rent kayaks ( if we fly ) or bring our own if we decide to drive. SO
Which Part of the keys offers good kayaking spots as a way to hop out and wade some flats/channel edges/etc. and explore a little for different species??

Also If you had to choose between April or late June what are the advantages of each of the seasons??
Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 PM

Explore roadside flats fishing for bonefish on your own

You can always fish on your own, along the roadside. This website www.threebone.com (This is, by far, the best informational flats fishing guide of the Florida Keys, which promotes the sport of bonefishing for the do-it-yourself sport fishers.) is a hobby of mine that explains how, where and when to do flats fising for bonefish. I taught myself , as I found out that asking anyone about flats fishing in The Keys, was considered classified/Top Secret information, and they wouldn't tell you anything. I couldn't even get a non-brochure flats fishing report; so now I write my own. I call it threebone because I caught 3 bonefish in one day wading along the roadside. The website has information, fishing blog, reports, photos, flies, and even a clean humor blog, from funny observations from my life in The Keys. Enjoy!

http://threebone.com/Original_Short_...umor_Blog.html

mark@threebone.com