Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 AM

Advice - Charleston, SC week of April 8, 2012

My wife and I will be visiting Charleston, SC the week of April 8, 2012 for a little R&R, and hopefully a little fishing too! This is my first visit to this area, but I'm eager to see what I can dredge up with a fly or light tackle. Can anyone kindly recommend in-shore areas that might be easily accessible to a visiting angler? Alternatively, is it worth renting a boat or hiring a guide to reach otherwise inaccessible areas? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Tough area to fish on your own for the first time. Hiring a guide is a good idea and the on mentioned below is highly recommended. I've only fished it twice, with a friend. Both times I was there were in May and we had excellent fishing.

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM

As no surprise, I agree with Onshore on the guide. During the winter, reds will school up in large tight schools. Two things that will be a challenge on your own, finding them, and then not spooking them. Both can be mitigated to some degree with a good guide.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the advice

Thanks all for the advice. I will definitely hire a guide based on your recommendations. I'm looking forward to my visit, and a little time on the water.

Cheers,

Steve