Forum Navigation

Search

Old 02-09-2012, 11:43 AM
work=bad fishing=good

Looking for advice-bonefish-moon phases

Headed down to E, hopefully, for a week in May. I had the really good fortune of my wonderful but somewhat picky wife falling in love with the place over Xmas holidays. Having your wife bug you about checking out the frequent flyer deals for a trip down there is the very definition of a "high class problem".

I have been down there before a couple times and have had soem success. I accept the steep learning curve and probably will get a guide for at least a day(never have there)-does anyone know if anybodt has replaced alfred mckinney?

I think my last two trips have suffered becasue of poor choice with regards to the moon phase. The first time i went I had to go during the full moon. The last time I went the opposite-new moon. OK-darkness at night but the tides were ripping and, obviously, a little abnormal. Most of my saltwater is for snook and stuff on the FL guf coast where ripping tides =good fishing.

I have some leeway in planning the trip in May. Would love to hear people's opinion on what's the conventional wisdom for the optimum moon phases for choosing dates for bonefish trips?

E was beautiful in December and we had great weather. The only real negative was seeing a big, big gill net down in deep creek. That was kind of a drag.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Banned

Btt

check out Bonefish & Tarpon Trust's website, great info, great organization, great place to give some $$ to:

http://www.tarbone.org/research-prog...-bonefish.html

Recent research on Eleuthera found that bonefish migrate long distances to specific locations, and then move offshore to spawn at night during a period spanning the new and full moons between October and May. Prior to spawning, the bonefish collect in large schools in shallow bays near deep water, and move offshore as a group at dusk. Because of the extremely wide, shallow shelf on the west side of Abaco, bonefish in the Marls would have to swim a considerable distance to the west or south in order to reach deep offshore spawning waters. Recent observations by Abaco guides suggested that bonefish may group to spawn in an area near Cross Harbour. Large schools of fish were seen in a shallow bay adjacent to deep water during peak spawning season, mirroring the observations made on Eleuthera.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Alfred.

I hesitate to ask, but by the reference to Alfred Mckinney in your post, is he ok?
All moon phases will fish well, it's just the fish will be in different places during those phases. A little bit of thought and google earth, you can work a lot out. The fish are creatures of habit, it's just we don't always know what thier habits are. Hey if it was easy you would not want to do it. e mail me the dates your going, i will try and help. Been to lutra a lot.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:47 AM

Alfred

Thanks for the PM, Big shame about Albert Mckinney, he was a lovely man, always wanted to stay on the water until the last minute. He is the only guide ever to offer me a free day, because he wanted to go fishing. My son and I will miss him when we go back to Lutra, Deep Creek wont be the same without him.
Anyway e mail me "Ihatework"
dedoor@aol.com
Old 02-17-2012, 03:58 PM

The most consistent bonefishing will happen between moon phases, which is during neap tides. The water levels will not swing as much, allowing the bonefish to settle into consistent feeding patterns.

Full and new moons tides, depending on location, can cause ripping tides and major high and low tides. For example, in Eleuthera this past year, I went during a new moon and the tide changes were 3 feet 4 times a day! We saw and caught fish, but the window each day was small and the fish were ultra spooky.

So for bones, fish on the neaps. For tarpon and permit, new moons are better.

Of course, if you can't plan around the moon, go anyways and make the best out of it.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:54 PM

all good advice. One thing with new or full moons is the high water can really spread the fish out, pushing them way back into the mangroves, depending on where you are. But they can still be caught, just get them coming in or going out.
The higher tides often bring many other species onto the flats, or along the edges, like permit, jacks, snappers and even false albacore.
We've caught albies from shore on Eleuthera before--not huge-a few lbs-but they were fun! Caught off of ten bay and south palmetto--more beach-like than classic flats, but there are sometimes bones at each location.

Deep Creek is a cool area and Alfred will be missed.

Try and hit the fish fry in Governor's harbor on Friday--it's a blast.

And tippy's is good for food, though a bit pricey.
Sammys in Rock sound is good too, and much more reasonably priced.

have a great trip!!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 AM
work=bad fishing=good

thanks

I really appreciate folks taking time to repsond to my question. what you say really makes sense. I think (one of the) error(s) Ive been making is scheduling trips around the new moon-ripping, extroardinary tides. will look for the neap tides. Thanks agin
Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 PM

I just returned from E, I arrived on the 7th -full moon- and saw very few fish until about the 12th, then things returned to normal. Savannah fish are still impossible unless you go when it's overcast and blowing. Fish south either coast. Just south of the Rock Sound grocery store is a place called Pascall's or 4 Points, the food is great, Pascall used to be the chef at Coco da Mama.