Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-03-2012, 10:10 AM

The problem is that I doubt it will be peer reviewed before action is taken, it will be too late. No one has the kind of money like this to throw around except the government and in particular NOAA. This theoretical model is a bunch of crap.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Question The Price Tag

Whats the old saying, Liars Lie and Figurer's Figure and when you combine the two into one body and both have an equal say in the final outcome on what Fishing in The Bay State is worth to an individual, I suspect the price Tag for my Happiness is is going to be substantial.

I wonder if the fine if I get caught fishing without a Permit will be more than what I get paid to sell my Permit back if I get caught fishing without one. That is of course if I get the initial offer of the Buy Back.

So many things to think about.

Last edited by bonefishdick; 03-03-2012 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Get real, guys. The results of the survey will not be used to buy out recreational fishermen's right to fish. It will be used to establish two things that have always been speculated upon:
1)How many saltwater fishermen are there in each state.
2)The value of the recreational fishery by state as compared to the value of the commercial fishery.

For years, with regard to fisheries issues, we have argued how many of us there are with no idea of the number. For years we have placed the value of the Rec. fishery at many times that of the Com fishery. The commercial fisheries value is known by landings and employment. The recreational fishery is speculation.

No this isn't some deep dark method of closing down the recreational fishery.

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/
Old 03-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Administrator

I would gladly take the $500, it would buy a lot of gas for my boat.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterOfFlies View Post
Please Slappy, drop the overly-dramatic hyperbole. The bottom line is that even the idiots in charge of our fair Commonwealth would never "close" fishing as you put it and you darn well know that. These very sneaky people who claim to represent us are up to no good, so why help them screw us some more? They'll end up doing whatever they please regardless of what input we give, be it good, bad or indifferent. The scenarios you put forth are specious. It is fairly simple for even the simpletons on Beacon Hill to put a number on lost money in the HIGHLY unlikely events you describe. Retail sales of tackle shops, estimated revenues of charter operations, marinas, etc are not that hard to find. At the end of the day, these sneaky and lazy people who want us to help write our own death warrant deserve none of our help.
I agree with this. There are other ways to determine the economic value of rec fishing right now. When they conduct the surveys they can include questions about money spent on gas, lodging, food and many other things fishermen spend money on.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:54 PM

I got the following email from Stripers Forever yesterday:
To SF Members who live and/or fish in Massachusetts……..MA Division of Marine Fisheries (DMF) has announced that a Saltwater Angler Permit Survey will be sent to many recreational permit holders. The purpose of the survey is to measure the socio-economic value of recreational saltwater fishing in MA.The contribution of recreational fishing to the State’s economy is often measured by the number of jobs and the amount of sales and incomes that are supported by the
expenditures of saltwater recreational fishermen. While this approach provides important
information, it does not consider the value that anglers place on being able to go saltwater
fishing. How valuable is saltwater fishing in Massachusetts to you?
According to a Boston Globe article “state and federal officials say the survey will be helpful to regulators who…. make decisions about allocating fish stocks between commercial and recreational users”, and that according to Nichola Meserve at DMF, the survey results will be used to prioritize competing uses, i.e., between commercial and recreational uses. In light of these purposes of the survey, SF requests that members who are asked to respond to the survey recognize that it is important that they do respond, and that their responses will influence the value DMF and the National Marine Fisheries Service places on the Massachusetts recreational fishery. SF does not presume to advise our members how to respond, only to recognize that their responses may well determine the economic value DMF places on the recreational fishery.
So it looks as though Stripers Forever thinks it will be beneficial for recreational anglers and is encouraging us to fill it out.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:09 PM
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAQ View Post
. When they conduct the surveys they can include questions about money spent on gas, lodging, food and many other things fishermen spend money on.
this survey has already been done in many fisheries, but it doesn't capture the true recreational value. The value isn't just the amount spent on the fishery, but the intensity of those who use it.

Sure I spend quite a bit of money on my sport. Would I take 500 to fish in freshwater for a year? nope, how abou 5k? nope.

This is a methodology that captures the total value of the sport.

My expectation is that they will find that the value of recreational fisheries has been extremely under estimated. This could be bad news for commerical fishermen, but good news for recs and charter guys.

Good studies may shift the role of the NOAA away from killing off fisheries and more towards saving them. It will also offer a line of defense against the many eco groups who want to see fishing die.

The downside possibility is that they say that rec fishing is worthless and not worth supporting...
Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
this survey has already been done in many fisheries, but it doesn't capture the true recreational value. The value isn't just the amount spent on the fishery, but the intensity of those who use it.

Sure I spend quite a bit of money on my sport. Would I take 500 to fish in freshwater for a year? nope, how abou 5k? nope.

This is a methodology that captures the total value of the sport.

My expectation is that they will find that the value of recreational fisheries has been extremely under estimated. This could be bad news for commerical fishermen, but good news for recs and charter guys.

Good studies may shift the role of the NOAA away from killing off fisheries and more towards saving them. It will also offer a line of defense against the many eco groups who want to see fishing die.

The downside possibility is that they say that rec fishing is worthless and not worth supporting...
Another down side, as bonefishdick mentioned, is they could use the data to inflate the cost of the permit.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:36 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

[QUOTE=Slappy;304333] Good studies may shift the role of the NOAA away from killing off fisheries and more towards saving them. QUOTE]

Not a chance of that happening. NOAA/NMFS come under the US Dept. of Commerce. Their primary aim is to support/regulate commercial efforts of the US. Commerce Dept. doesn't give a Rats. @$$ about anything recreational. Fisheries would have to be transferred to the US Dept. of Interior for that to happen and it won't.
BillH

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/

Last edited by Onshore; 03-04-2012 at 05:40 AM..