Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Mass Hearings Part II

Based on all the Internet chatter and newspaper coverage of the State House hearing it looks like there is not going to be any imminent changes to Striper Management policy.

Maybe an email to Commissioner Diodatti and your local state rep and senator may help. Here’s a simple statement you might use in your email:

Please support efforts to reduce the Striped Bass harvest.

Recreational fisherman should be limited to a single fish a day at 36 inches. The Commercial fishery should be limited to 750 thousand pounds annually.

Thank you for your consideration

Change the numbers as you personally think appropriate— but let the manager’s/politicians know how you feel.

Last edited by bucko; 03-02-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Old 03-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Diodati and the Ma Legislature can only effect Striped Bass legislation in Massachusetts. Only ASMFC can set benchmark regulations for the entire Atlantic coast. The states can change them; but only if their rules are more conservative than what the commission sets.

ASMFC is in the midst of amending the Striped Bass Management Plan and it will probably be done before the 2013 season opens. Paul Diodatti and the legislature are well aware of that fact and will probably opt to wait to see what the commission does.
Bill H

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/
Old 03-01-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Based on all Internet chatter and newspaper coverage of the State House hearing it looks like there is not going to be any imminent changes to Striper Management policy.

Maybe an email to Commissioner Diodatti and your local state rep and senator may help. Here’s a simple statement you might use in your email:

Please support efforts to reduce the Striped Bass harvest.

Recreational fisherman should be limited to a single fish a day at 36 inches. The Commercial fishery should be limited to 750 thousand pounds annually.

Thank you for your consideration

Change the numbers as you personally think appropriate— but let the manager’s/politicians know how you feel.
Send them by the hundreds to Paul Diodatti! Onshore is right, 2013 is when we will see potential changes. It is doubtful that Paul would approve anything until the new management plan comes out. BUT, your lobbying will have an effect on Paul's position and th effort he puts out to lobby for those limits.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:34 PM

ASMFC needs to make changes but in no way can I accept a decrease of commerical catch even with a 36" limit. Mass may be able to enact a 36" commercial and recreational limit, but to curtail one sector without benefit of reasonable biological evidence that they are the problem is just plain wrong.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterOfFlies View Post
ASMFC needs to make changes but in no way can I accept a decrease of commerical catch even with a 36" limit. Mass may be able to enact a 36" commercial and recreational limit, but to curtail one sector without benefit of reasonable biological evidence that they are the problem is just plain wrong.
There is plenty of evidence to support the fact that recreational catch rates are down. If the commercial sector is not willing to make sacrifices to improve that situation, it risks losing the support of the major recreational groups that are helping the commercial fishery survive right now. It would be far better for the commercial fishermen of mass to have the same proportion of a smaller pie than it would be to lose the support of organizations like MassBass and SBCBA - support you will lose if you are unwilling to help out improving the biomass. The group trying to eliminate you is sophisticated and is not going to stop. Trust me when I say that the situation was a lot more dangerous this year than it was two years ago. The support of the major recreational groups and a couple of correctable boo boos by your opponents put you over the top in this one. Discount that and you are a gonner next time around.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Well said, IS and I agree wholeheartedly.

However, it is incumbent on ASMFC if they take action to change daily limit or length limit on recreational fishery to reduce the overall coastwide quota of the commercial fishery.

If the commission does not do that and MA gets the same com.quota as last year, you can bet they will be fishing it and will not see any change.
Bill H

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 AM

I'm not a commercial guy, Iron Skippy-far from it. I do, however have many friends who are. The problem you and others who think the tocks are down have is that ASFMC does not agree. The states will, and are legislated to, defer to that body. IF there was concrete evidence that ASFMC put forth showing a decling stock biomass, THEN a pie scenario that you describe would make sense. The 36" for all idea is simply a preventative measure in my eyes. It would improve an already robust fishery. Some say it is not. Go "outside" fishing for bluefish and you'll have all the big stripers you want. The real problem as someone put forth in another thread is bait. FIsh have tails and follow the food. They're around in big numbers of big fish, following bait offshore.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

And that's the truth, too. I saw that in the four years I lived and fished on the Cape. I was retired and fished 3-day/week by boat and surf. Our best fishing, by far was offshore - where the bait was. And that was the beginning of the time when shore fishermen from Plymouth to Maine were complaining of no fish.
Bill H

Old 03-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Beat it!

I whacky idea just dawned on me about recreational catch limits, and how numbers can be interpreted/misinterpreted. hard to explain, but here is my best:

Imagine this: they bump the recreational size limit up to 36", and keep it at 2 fish. Good god now only 1/4 the anglers out there catch a fish that meets that 36" limit on 1/4 their trips, as opposed to say 1/2 catching a 28" on 1/2" their trips. suddenly they are only taking what, maybe 1/10th of the fish that were caught at 28"......so did the fishery suffer because less fish are being taken, or is it actually helping the fishery to be sustainable? the way the numbers are presented and interpreted would mean to most that don't read into it that the fishery has tanked...1/10th the recreational harvest means there are no fish....right? WRONG. thats why these stats and figures really are confusing and can be interpreted any way someone wants.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:47 PM

Seals

Perhaps the seals are the problem . If each seal eats 1.5 pounds of sandeels per day then what's left for the fish? I think you have to factor in the seals and their impact on the fishery to help solve the problem.
FishHawk
Old 05-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Cpt. Of "My Lil Dinghy"

Speaking of seals. I caught several keeper sized Stripers last year with seal bites in them!