Forum Navigation

Search

Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 PM

Keys Versus Bahamas

New to the forum. I am planning a guys trip to either the Bahamas or the Keys. Most of us have been to Andros and caught Bonefish. The group is thinking of doing that again. I and another are thinking of a trip to the Keys, Islamorada or Marathon. We both have boats ( a bay boat and a Hewes Redfisher) and would love to take them out. Im thinking the money we pay in airfare pays for a day or two of guided fishing on the flats and then we have time to explore on or own. Maybe even work an offshore trip at the beginning to have some groceries available. Im also thinking we can stay longer in the Keys and not be limited to a Packaged trip to the Bahamas. ($2,000+ not including Airfare, etc) I've never fished the keys, mostly Napels, Marco Island and the 10,000 Islands area.

Finaly to the question, Would love to hear feedback/comments/opinions on the positives and negatives. Sugesstions of place to stay? And finally, we all like a value and I'm not sure which is the better bang for the buck. Any and all feedback is appreciated.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 AM

Tough question to answer. Certainly you could do it cheaper in the Keys since you have your own boats. And there is a lot to be said for fishing off your own boat and all that goes with that.

But the flip side is that it depends on how much you want to catch fish. You are simply going to catch more fish in the Bahamas. Even hiring a guide for a day or two in the Keys is not going to prepare you a lot for the waters. Sure beats totally going blind but two days is just a start to learn an area.

Sorry to not have a concrete opinion but it really boils down to which approach will float your boat more (sorry couldn't resist ).

Is it more fun to get into a bunch of fish or more fun to have done it on your own. Answer that question and then you will know which way to go.

Good luck and FWIW neither one is a bad approach!!v
Old 03-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

I agree with IFSteves completely. You and your group just have to decide what you want.
Bill H

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/
Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 AM

Thanks guys, it was like not seeing the forest for the trees. I need to stop sweating the details and go fish! Thanks again for the perspective.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:01 AM

We used to go to the Keys and stayed at Big Pine Key Campground. They have some rental units, RV sites and tent sites but they also have dockage available. Been a while since we've been there but it used to run us about $500/week for a campsite and dockage for 16' boat plus if I remember correctly we also charged ice, freezer storage - they would keep your fish in their freezer for you, and some supplies at the camp store. There is a grocery store further down the road but at the time the camp store was very reasonably priced unlike most campground stores. If you do choose the camping option make sure you have racoon proof food storage.