Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 AM

LMB help

I stopped by a local pond and saw some nice bass today, but could not get a bite. The pond is small, probably less than an acre. And surrounded by rocks on 1 side and a retaining wall on the other three. All the fish were spread out between 2 or 3 shallow spots at the sunny end of the pond. They were all sitting in the middle to upper half of the 3 to 4 foot deep water. Also there were very Close to the wall and all the fish were facing it. I sat and watched for a while and didn't see any fish make a move to feed or cozy up to one of the bigguns (whom I am guessing were females).

I tossed a gold spoon (all I had with me) with no luck. I dragged it right in front of a few fish and didn't even get them to move on it at all. They pretty much just sunk down and eased off. The fish never really moved aggressively for anything.

How do I get these sluggish bass to eat?

Sam
Old 03-20-2012, 10:45 AM

Assuming you are spin casting. Try a rubber worm, on a worm hook, rigged weedless. Most importantly -- NO weight. Worm should be 7" or more in length with a curved tail like you'd find on a power grub. When it hits the water, let it sink, and the tail will do some work attracting attention. After it gets close to or hits bottom, try jigging it very slowly. Pull up on the line, and let it sink again. Repeat.

If the bass are hungry but lazy, they'll give it a go if it's in close proximity. If they are getting ready for the spawn, they may grab it to get it out of the way. In which case set the hook more quickly as they'll just move it and drop it quickly.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Dawn on CC Bay

On Saturday while chucking a small white and silver roostertail spinner for trout, I picked up a 3 lb largemouth on it . Worth a try if the rubber worm trick doesn't work.

-bd
Old 03-23-2012, 08:43 PM

you could try a 7" senko rigged wacky and, if necessary, lubed up with some smelly jelly. mmm, mmm, good. they will probably wack it in the drop, so watch your line closely because you will not feel the take if mr. senko is in freefall. also, bend the barb down as they really snarf these good.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:51 AM

On the other hand ...

... sometimes going small does the trick. Small black streamer worked for me around dusk last night ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	600.6 KB
ID:	18096  
Old 04-16-2012, 02:51 PM
fish at all costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepi View Post
Assuming you are spin casting. Try a rubber worm, on a worm hook, rigged weedless. Most importantly -- NO weight. Worm should be 7" or more in length with a curved tail like you'd find on a power grub. When it hits the water, let it sink, and the tail will do some work attracting attention. After it gets close to or hits bottom, try jigging it very slowly. Pull up on the line, and let it sink again. Repeat.

If the bass are hungry but lazy, they'll give it a go if it's in close proximity. If they are getting ready for the spawn, they may grab it to get it out of the way. In which case set the hook more quickly as they'll just move it and drop it quickly.

Good luck.
sam, what he said, but I'd say keep getting smaller until they bite. lighten up your leader if you can, I often tie a 6 -8 lb leader onto my 10-12 lb main line. also try not moving the bait at all for few minutes. those suspended fish that sink out out of few are very tough.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 PM

Small local pond? saw them? could be these bass have been caught more than once and if you saw them they saw you. Yes try downsizing but if your fishing from the bank try fishing them like trout an sneak up on them.