Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Registered Peruser

Question Thoughts on Brackets

Hello,

I'm still searching for the next boat. No rush, when I see her, it will be love at first sight, I'm sure! If not, I'll fish my present rig for another season.

Anyone have any strong feelings about motor brackets one way or the other? I know the advantages, more room at the transom, bigger boat performance for a smaller boat, can help even out floatation, etc. But I've also seen some strong negative comments in the blogosphere, particularly low speed handling and maneuverability, and also that they're a pain when it comes to landing fish (?).

Would anyone care to share thoughts or more importantly experience?

Thank you much!

Chris
Old 03-22-2012, 07:28 AM

I have two boats and 18' Maritime and a 20' Five Islands Versatile with a Gils bracket.

I find the poling platform on the Maritime more in the way of fishing than the bracket on the bigger boat, though neither are a major issue.

The Versatile handles very well. It's the best riding twenty footer I've experienced. Backing into tight spaces is no problem once you get the feel.

The major drawback to the bracket is that the outboard is more exposed to saltwater, especially in following seas. If you're not careful it's possible to stall the engine by driving water up the exhaust. I've had this happen with the old OMC loopers. It's never been an issue with the newer Evinrude.

Overall I'd choose the bracket again.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadabout Guinea View Post
I know the advantages, more room at the transom, bigger boat performance for a smaller boat, can help even out floatation, etc.
Add safety there, as #1 for an offshore boat. Boat/US files show that something like 40% of the boats that sink offshore are open-transom or step-thru boats with the exposed motor well, allowing a swell or rogue wave to fill it up and swamp it in seconds. Just ask Mark here, as he survived such an ordeal!

Also add better handling and ability for a full width swim platform, which can aid getting people aboard who may fall overboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadabout Guinea View Post
But I've also seen some strong negative comments in the blogosphere, particularly low speed handling and maneuverability, and also that they're a pain when it comes to landing fish (?).
Agreed the turning moment is further aft, but I’ve never found low-speed handling or maneuverability to be an issue. If anything, since the prop is in ‘cleaner’ water and away from the hull, I have found that handling and maneuverability improves! One tip, tilt your motor up if/when needing reverse, so the thrust goes under the hull.

I personally don’t feel that fish handling is an obstacle … yeah, the OB is out there, but good boat handling can take care of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb5isle View Post
The major drawback to the bracket is that the outboard is more exposed to saltwater, especially in following seas. If you're not careful it's possible to stall the engine by driving water up the exhaust. I've had this happen with the old OMC loopers. It's never been an issue with the newer Evinrude.
Uhhhhh, well not so quick there … as I toasted my newer Evinrude (with 9-hours on her) when it had ingested water into the lower cylinder. And since water doesn’t compress, the connecting rod bends, leading to premature engine failure.

But that can happen with ANY motor, of which the Merc Verados are especially prone. My best guess is that their exhaust port is huge to handle the output from the supercharger, but when deaccelerating, there isn’t enough backpressure to prevent water intake.

But 3 ways to help prevent this is … #1 - be aware of it and be careful in seas or when coming off plane, #2 - mount a 5” higher OB on that existing bracket, #3 - keep higher revs on the motor if/when in situations where a stern-to wave could swallow the OB.

Biggest complaint with a Euro-bracketed boat is that you’re paying the price for a 2’ LONGER boat than you really bought. Case in point, look at almost ANY Euro-transom boat model and compare it to the previous hull of 5-years ago or more. What was the X-Line 21’ CC is now billed AND PRICED as the 23’ CC of the same model. In some cases, you’ll even get LESS useable room on that 23’ stoopid Euro model than you did in the 21’ version of only a few years’ earlier vintage.

And yet you paid dearly for it … easily another $3-5K per foot difference, if not more!, for less of a boat … just gotta love the marketing genius that thought that scam up!

MISS TEAK, 25' Parker mod-V Sport Cabin www.classicparker.com

"Life is too short to own an ugly boat ... !"
Old 03-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Registered Peruser

Thanks for the input! I'm looking at 2 boats with brackets, a 23' Bluewater and a 25' Pro Line, both center consoles.

I have a similar opinion on the euro transom too Dale! Some of the 23' CCs with it have less cockpit than my 18.5' CC! The design just puzzles me?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 AM

Dale,

Good points as always.

I stalled my loopers three times, luckily never blew one up (at least in these instances!). Each time off-shore. Since then (10 years ago) I've been much more careful in following seas. I'll caulk this up to operator experience and not technological advances.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleH View Post

…as I toasted my newer Evinrude (with 9-hours on her) when it had ingested water into the lower cylinder. And since water doesn’t compress, the connecting rod bends, leading to premature engine failure.

Ah... So that's what prompted the Suzuki purchase! Did insurance cover that?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb5isle View Post
Dale,

Good points as always.

I stalled my loopers three times, luckily never blew one up (at least in these instances!). Each time off-shore. Since then (10 years ago) I've been much more careful in following seas. I'll caulk this up to operator experience and not technological advances.
Stalled, as in flooded with sea water ? So I'm guessing you had to be towed in ?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 AM

I have 23 Sea Craft that originally had twin IOs. I had the IOs removed , the transom glassed and an Armstrong bracket installed. Fish landing not a problem. It's quieter, drier, and if (when) something gets wound around the prop it's easier to unwind. I love mine.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:34 PM

I have spent many hours on the 23 Bluewater. It is a great riding hull and and it fishes well. My only complaint would be is that it is a 2 piece boat so there is no toe kick space below the gunwhale. This can make thjings tough when you are strapped into a harness and want to rest your thighs on the combing.

Sam
Old 04-03-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browndog View Post
Stalled, as in flooded with sea water ? So I'm guessing you had to be towed in ?
Yes, After the fisrt time I joined Seatow. Of course since I've had the tow insurance it's never been used. I've been lucky enough to catch a tow from one of the local fishermen.

Also, on the issue of clearing the prop from pot warp, be careful hanging out over the outboard. It's very easy to wind up overboard!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Registered Peruser

Sam, thanks for the feedback - I'm still trying to get the 23 Bluewater. I appreciate the benefit of the three piece construction. Unfortunately there's few enough nice, late model center consoles out there. It's even tougher to find one with three piece construction within my budget and spec requirements. More boats have been coming on the market as we get closer to the season, but even so I've had to greatly expand the area that I'm searching in with all the distance related hassles that go along with that.

Chris