Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-05-2012, 12:19 PM

Rod Travel Case

Does anyone have a recommendation for a travel case for multiple (4) fly rods (4 piece)?

I am looking at the Fish Pond and the Sage travel cases. Looks like the Fish Pond travel case holds rods in their socks and not the tube itself.... this seems like a potential for a broken rod or two.

Any advise?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Banned

I have the Cabela's 4" rod tube
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

it is great for just holding rods.

I also have the FishPond dakota case:
http://www.fishpondusa.com/dakota-reel-case.cfm

That is awesmome! it holds rods and reels and a bunch of other gear. Price is much more. the rods are secure, not a problem
Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 AM

Thanks! I am going to get the FishPond Dakota.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 AM

Fish Pond is pretty but Ross 6" holds more rods for less $. I carry travel rod cases onto planes as my "personal item" so rods in cloth bags are not an issiue.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:54 AM

You obviously don't fly international salt.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 PM

Does Bahamas count as international? That is mostly where I carry rods too and just returned from...I even carried them on the prop plane from Nassau to my destination. In six flights on this recent trip they were not checked once.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 AM

imho NO usa to Bahamas is counted as an internal flight.
Can you still go from the states to the Bahamas without a passport ie using your driving licence.

Since 9/11 I have not been able to take any fishing tackle on board an aircraft that is leaving the UK
Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 AM

We don't have a problem carrying fly tackle on board either on domestic or international flights here in the states. Experienced anglers carry everything they'll need to fish especially if going to any of the out islands of the Bahamas.Naturally some common sense is required, no knives, aerosols large hooks etc. Did have a problem once with an aluminum rod tube which had been carried on many trips prior to that one I swithched to cardboard tube.

For a while Bahamian security was tight on fly reels with line on them but they have relaxed those restrictions.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:24 AM

Wink

Wished I lived your side of the pond.
Just be warned friends if you travel outside of your comfort zone you may find you will have a long walk back to checkin when you return from say Christmas island and find securty won't let you take your tackle bag containing reels with your flyline on it on board. it's even worse if you travel to Aus.
I received a warning as I hadn't declared my wooded fly box. their customs are red hot.

Last edited by peanuts; 05-04-2012 at 08:57 AM..
Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 AM

If you go to our (USA) TSA web site, they actually hava a page dedicated to fishing tackle regulations and RECOMEND bringing "expensive" rods reel and flies on board as carry on. I have printed this page out and carry it in an external pocket of my water repelent box which contains my cameras, reels and fly boxes. This is my carry on bag. My "personal item" is the 6" diameter rod carrier that can incase up to 8 4pc., 9' rods in their cloth sleeves. Of course this is US not UK regulations so thank you for bringing this potential problem to our attention on these shores. I will tell you that, though the Bahamas is a favorite airplane destination for me, I have traveled via aircraft from northern Canada to Tiera del Fuego without a fly tackle security issue.

Kalik, When recently returning via Nassau, I did pack my line-loaded reels in checked baggage as we have been doing. Is permission to carry these valuables as carry on an officially sanctioned privilage by Bahamian customs?

Last edited by sweet+salt; 05-01-2012 at 08:26 AM..
Old 05-01-2012, 02:56 PM

S&S, Not sure if its official policy. Before my last trip in Dec. I had been told it was OK by a friend who went to Acklins in Nov. On the way back I checked my spools and carried on the reel bodies as I usually do. I did however leave 1 reel intact with just backing on the spool I cleared the checkpoint without a problem. I asked the agent if it was now alright to leave line on our reels, she said it was.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:28 AM

Like you, I have been carrying them to my destination and packing them heading home but as my flats fly reel collection grows and improves over the years I have grown increaingly apprehensive over checking them. I am all for security but fly line and backing just don't strike me as lethal. I will attempt to contact Bahamian security officials in an effort to get an "official" policy statement.

OK, I have sent them an e-mail about flies and tackle in general in reels with lines mounted specificly. I will report upon their response.

Last edited by sweet+salt; 05-02-2012 at 07:40 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 AM
New Reel-Timer

Ross 6

The Ross 6 sounds like the real deal. Thanks for creating this thread here at http://www.reel-time.com