Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thumbs up A Trip Down Memory Lane

With such a mild Spring and what seems to be a more traditional Spring, the weather seems more like what I remember the way it used to be when growing up as a child which is warm by the end of March.

I wanted to go back in my logs to see what was the earliest I ever got a Striper in Mass and in doing so I ended up going all the way back to when this "Striper Madness" all started for me.

That year was 1992 !

That was the year I started Striper Fishing from shore, I believe that was the year after they lifted the Moratorium on the Stripers. (Not sure if it was or maybe 2 years after).

Anyway this is how I got started on fly fishing for Stripers. I was supposed to meet a friend of mine at 3 AM to net some Pogies in the Herring Run and then fish the Canal at sunrise.

I knew if I went to bed I would never get up in time to meet him. I also knew that people fly fished tidal creeks for Stripers and also fished for them at night. I figured at 10PM at night who is going to see me maybe making a fool out of myself. So I decided to give it a try for a few hours until I met my friend and arrived at the creek at 11 Pm. It was on June 26, 1992 that I got my first Striper on a fly from shore. ( Got my very first Striper the year before in a boat trolling a fly). It was a beautiful night, no wind warm and an outgoing tide. The stars must have been aligned that night for me and that was what started it all. The fly was a Blacked Nose Dace , an 8 wt Sage Discovery Rod and a Valentine Reel. I ended up landing 3 Stripers and now I did not want to leave and meet my friend. At that point when leaving I knew I was Hooked.

Back then I was an avid Trout guy, so after fishing the Canal for a few hours with the Pogies ( No Stripers ) I drove to the Swift River in Belchertown and caught 24 trout. Amazing how you forget this stuff and how a Log Book can bring it all back. That was one Long A**Day.

To complete the story and the original thought that started this thread, the date for my earliest Striper from shore on the fly was on April 8th in 2000. In the last 15 years 10 of those years yielded a Striper during the Month Of April to kick of the season, and that Month is just around the corner..
Old 03-23-2012, 07:45 PM

Dick,

Good read and I know you haven't lost any of your enthusiasm and determination.....kudos.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Chatham Fisherman

when do you consistently start catching bass dick? The only reason I ask is that I'm going to switch over from freshwater a little earlier than usual this year to take advantage of the warm spring and was just wondering what your thoughts were.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Start Date

Mike,

I usually start around the middle of April. The last 3 years the fish have not shown for me at least until the very end of April. I like you will be starting the next around the 15th this year or maybe a little earlier if Spring should decide to make another surprise visit.

If I should get out and have any success, it will be posted here. I think next week will be the first trip depending on the wind and weather., my friend and I all ready have a preliminary game plan established.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Chatham Fisherman

thanks a lot!