Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 03-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

If you're not worried about the reel being sealed then take a look at the new Stradic FJ from Shimano. They incorporated a number of design features from the Stella no less and came up with one excellent reel. It's light, fast, with a back breaking drag. You'll spend around $220, way less than a VS or a Stella, and have a fine piece of equipment. A middle ground between the Stella/VS and the Stradic would be a Penn Torque for around $500. Fully sealed and made to last a lifetime the Torque has gotten some great reviews. It's built much more like the VS than the Stella: heavy and simplistic.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:36 PM
on the shore for albacore

Location: On a good day, Chappy, Lobsterville, or any other island beach.
I completely agree with the comments expressed by almost everyone else. I have fished the Riptide and it is totally worth the money and the difference in price above other fly reels.

When it comes to spinning reels, I fish the Penns (old 700 series, spinfisher series, and Battle) as well as Shimano (Stradic). I don't see the need to go above this level, particularly in the surf, for obvious reasons.

Van Staals and Stellas are nice reels, but [IMHO] overkill for spinning reels.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:44 PM
NH Inshore Reel-Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I too fish a Tibor Riptide but I got mine used for less that 1/2 retail price. If you want a Stella try to find a used one.
Great point. Kittery Trading Post had new Stellas and Stradics on sale for about 30-40% off over the weekend.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Registered Peruser

If you fish the new Okuma Cedros spinning reels you won't be throwing them away every 2 years, even if you fish them hard! I originally put Okumas on set ups I didn't mind letting the occasional guest on the boat use. These latest reels are far and above the low end stuff they used to make. I still love my Shimanos but my opinion of Okuma has changed. I believe they bought a US reel maker and had them do the new saltwater designs for spin and conventional. I fished a Cedros 65 bait feeder last year for blues and stripers with great results, & I just picked up a 55 for this year.

chris
Old 03-31-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentience View Post
... I surf fish mostly wooden plugs and metal in the 3-4 oz. range most often with 11' rods. ...
Hard to suggest just one ... retrieval speed.
Wooden plugs are best tossed with slower retrieves.
Metals of that weight will cast farther (line capacity?) and be retrieved faster.

If price is a secondary consideration, retrieval rate, not water proof, is what will set the reels apart.
Which is easier for you? Slowing down a fast reel or speeding up a slow reel?
I wouldn't go mid speed because you'll be fighting the reel's design with both lures.

Sorry to answer a question with a question. Just sayin ...

Last edited by rubbereel; 03-31-2012 at 04:11 PM..
Old 03-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Capt. Mike Mathews

If you can swing it...VS. Service it in 5 years after fishing 60-80 days a year & when you finally think to yourself, "Have I ever serviced this reel?"
www.offshoreanglercharters.com
mm@offshoreanglercharters.com
617-997-5209
Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineyard fisher View Post
I completely agree with the comments expressed by almost everyone else. I have fished the Riptide and it is totally worth the money and the difference in price above other fly reels.

When it comes to spinning reels, I fish the Penns (old 700 series, spinfisher series, and Battle) as well as Shimano (Stradic). I don't see the need to go above this level, particularly in the surf, for obvious reasons.

Van Staals and Stellas are nice reels, but [IMHO] overkill for spinning reels.
I find the opposite true, particularly here in the Northeast.

I use an old Orvis DXR that will take on any inshore fish likely to be found in our waters. I have friends that still use Pfluger Medalists for their salt water fishing up here and take some nice fish. Fly reels that cost $700 plus for Stripers, Blues and the small Albies that hit our waters are overkill.

Newer high end spinning reels are more braid friendly, cast farther, give options for line pick up rate, drag systems that apply oodles of pressure, and have drivetrains that are far more durable than old or low end reels. Plus, in some applications, having a reel that is sealed well is a big benefit.

Granted a lot of surf fishing can be done with less expensive gear but depending on how the fisherman intends to use it, high end reels can be a worthwhile investment.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAQ View Post
I find the opposite true, particularly here in the Northeast.

I use an old Orvis DXR that will take on any inshore fish likely to be found in our waters. I have friends that still use Pfluger Medalists for their salt water fishing up here and take some nice fish. Fly reels that cost $700 plus for Stripers, Blues and the small Albies that hit our waters are overkill.

Newer high end spinning reels are more braid friendly, cast farther, give options for line pick up rate, drag systems that apply oodles of pressure, and have drivetrains that are far more durable than old or low end reels. Plus, in some applications, having a reel that is sealed well is a big benefit.

Granted a lot of surf fishing can be done with less expensive gear but depending on how the fisherman intends to use it, high end reels can be a worthwhile investment.
I believe in high end fly reels how many albies do you catch? I've had years where I landed a couple hundred on higher end fly reels and glad I had one, that will make or break your fly reel IMHO..spinning reels there are a lot of good reels out there too..
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM

Kuskus68: The Medalist, which I use for stripers and blues, would indeed be a poor choice for albacore and other muscular speedsters; though I've caught bonefish on mine, when it came to bonito, I put the reel aside for a Lamson. As for harmful effects from WD40, I've observed no such damage to any reels after years of use. Either I've been lucky, or the applications have been light enough not to cause harm. But thanks for the heads-up.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuskus68 View Post
I believe in high end fly reels how many albies do you catch? I've had years where I landed a couple hundred on higher end fly reels and glad I had one, that will make or break your fly reel IMHO..spinning reels there are a lot of good reels out there too..
Oh, I catch my fair share of Albies. 200 Albies a year up here, that is quite a season, good for you.

Don't get me wrong, I have high end reels but they are overkill for the mini Albies we get here in the Northeast. When fishing in the land of stupid double digit Albies I'll use my higher end equipment. Although, I have done fine with middle of the road Lamson products down there too.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:12 AM

You'll hear a lot of people telling you to buy ultra high end spinning reels like Van Stall or Stella, and that they will last a lifetime and are an investment. But most of those guys don't keep them all that long, and trade them in for newer/updated reels. There is always going to be a new model or new reel....the lifetime investment isn't always logical.

That said, if you continuously dunk your reel and don't want to work on it much, a reel like a Van Stall is nice if you really can afford it.
If not, a reel like a Penn Battle is fine. I use the Cabela's version ($50 on sale, including shipping last year) and it works great!

Bill
Old 04-05-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpcast View Post
Kuskus68: The Medalist, which I use for stripers and blues, would indeed be a poor choice for albacore and other muscular speedsters; though I've caught bonefish on mine, when it came to bonito, I put the reel aside for a Lamson. As for harmful effects from WD40, I've observed no such damage to any reels after years of use. Either I've been lucky, or the applications have been light enough not to cause harm. But thanks for the heads-up.
I know for a fact it will degrade the rubber handles on shimano spinng reels..
Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAQ View Post
Oh, I catch my fair share of Albies. 200 Albies a year up here, that is quite a season, good for you.

Don't get me wrong, I have high end reels but they are overkill for the mini Albies we get here in the Northeast. When fishing in the land of stupid double digit Albies I'll use my higher end equipment. Although, I have done fine with middle of the road Lamson products down there too.
Lol,but you never know when that double digit albie just happens to hit!
When Im in RI casting the last thing I want to give out is my reel.
I do carry a spare spool or reel never know.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuskus68 View Post
I know for a fact it will degrade the rubber handles on shimano spinng reels..
And you don't want to just spray WD-40 on your reels, it will seep into the drag (especially baitcasters) and wreck havoc upon them.
But WD-40 is a great fish attractant, better than spit!

Come to thing of it I just sprayed the zippers of my windbreaker & backpack with WD-40....its time to start serious fishing, Wachusett opens this Sat.!

Bill