Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > Florida

Old 03-23-2012, 05:50 AM

MIAMI-Spring 2012-yr of the Mayan(cichlid)

winds finally dying out today and shifting...have been fishing exotics this past week waiting...if no customers I will finally launch tomorrow on the flats, more than eager!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3357.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	18088   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3360.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	18089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3362.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	18090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3321.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	18091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3335.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	18092  

Name:	IMGP3325.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	18093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3344.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	18094  
Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 PM

74.4 degrees on flats. Saw singles, two doubles and the biggest school of decent fish since the old days. 6-9 cruising by me. Oh yea, I spooked everyone I cast at. I was fishing in Florida! Ha!
Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 PM

Oh yea Cordell, great pics! What the heck are those fish???
Old 03-25-2012, 04:51 AM

went from Black Point to Convoy and back yesterday...not a single bonefish on that entire flat...some stretches have totally confirmed my call that it will remain dead water for yrs..I did see good number of redfish and in areas that I usually dont...they are making a big push to fill the bonefish void(thats another of MY calls that will be proven) not to mention huge numbers of black drum...on certain stretches I did see some huge snook laying in the grass and sharks and cuda are pushing in...bait was everywhere...still hard to say what will happen because it was new moon phase and not true circumstances...this next full moon will tell much more...I ran into the research team doing samples of grass along the west side...not good news around Black Point...the red grass is algae bloom straight from the fields, a super Miracle Grow according to the team...I have to admit there was more than usual...they were bummin because they had to go to Mt. Trashmore next and dive...I finished up on trout and ladyfish and was out 9 full hrs...my body isnt used to pushing, its been several weeks and I covered maybe 8 miles...wondering if I should go again today for shorter day and play the tide
the fish are exotics...orange ones are Midas Cichlids, red spots is Oscar, purple/black is Jaguar Guapote...orange/black bars is Mayan Cichlid, other is spotted talapia...thats assorted Urban Miami Slam...its a windy day filler that you would have to travel the world to achieve...I do it from walking the canal and sightfishing...it has saved my business since the freeze

Last edited by bonefishwhisper; 03-25-2012 at 05:07 AM..
Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 AM

launched out of Matheson for old times sake...water looked very good, maybe best of all...there were rays everywhere and lots of life as the sun came up...it stopped there...no fish spotted from Matheson thru Chicken Key on incoming tide and glass...used the increasing winds to get back on falling tide...I seriously doubt there was a single fish out there on the entire west side, it would be a miracle...the sharks, mostly bonnets, are stacking and big cuda can be seen in certain areas but spread out over miles...winds are back so I will regroup
Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 PM

pretty much the same story down the road, i have seen less and less bones since the freeze, and more and more redfish, in places i have never seen them, or not seen since i was in high school. sad for the bones, they used to be my number one species to cast at. then again, that was a time when most of the redfish i saw were on menus.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:27 PM

your eyes are telling you the truth...I did find 2 small areas that had life coming in and I hooked a huge bone but it came undone way out deep...I seen maybe 20-30 scattered and skittish but this all took place in 100yd areas and other than that I have covered entire west side short of going into arsnickers...I have to admit that I forgot just how violent the bones really are when they are huge...new NV 9wt melted like ice and 1/2 the backing gone in a couple seconds...based on what I didnt see I will check back in a few days
Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 PM

Bones

The hook-up with a big bone sounds very encouraging. I am following your flats exploration outings with very keen interest in the hopes the odds of finding fish improve to the point you might give a thumbs up to those of us looking to justify a trip targeting those bad boys!! I R-E-A-L-L-Y need to lose my bonefish virginity. And I want it to happen with YOU on the west side of the bay with the biggest, baddest, toughest bones in the western hemisphere. When the time is right.....this is at the top of my flyfishing priorities!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:07 PM

I did indeed find bones again but not incoming on tide as hoped for but tailing...didnt get close enough to get a shot but I did watch it and track it...I then found other bones that I would say are here for the yr due to where I found them and when...redfish are still showing in unlikely spots...today I easily caught one but it was very small, a sign that they are expanding and reproducing at much higher rate, when I 1st moved here it took 5yrs to find them...several more small ones roaming but I didnt stay...will be back out all weekend and searching just as much as fishing...customers about to pour in for bones...cant say when the big wave will arrive but I have seen at least 30 or more this week...ready to get the party started just waiting on the guest to show
Old 04-02-2012, 05:17 AM

found large number of bones after long search and all incoming...after seeing these pods I went back out again on glassy conditions and better tide and didnt see a single fish...sharks and rays are happy and showing up in larger numbers...any day somebody will be in the right place
Old 04-07-2012, 02:48 PM

fished today with 12yr old boy getting into flyfishing...he got small cuda and lookdown to start with but eventually we got into some pompano and wore them out...my biggest was 16" and Danny's was about 10" but he caught several and it was his 1st time so he was pumped...we had a good day in the heat and wind...HAPPY EASTER
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP3432.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	18128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3427.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	18129  

Last edited by bonefishwhisper; 04-07-2012 at 04:15 PM..
Old 04-08-2012, 07:31 PM

eating like a redfish for self empowerment..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP3441.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	18134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3442.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	18135  
Old 04-10-2012, 04:27 PM

I like the color of your nails!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:47 PM

only the best for you Capt Ned! had to test out the new color before I used it on the bonefish fly lol... BTW, I have been chasing tarpon on the flats with Ray "Big Fish" Hafsten but had to settle on a bonefish, out of time....if you are only going to cast once at a bonefish you best hook up ....this seems to work best for Ray...last 2 cast were home runs...today was one of the most cold blooded shots I have ever seen...it was instant $$$$
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP3470.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	18136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3472.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	18137  
Old 04-13-2012, 03:58 PM

Friday the 13th, one of my favorite days, a really good day for extra luck so I added a new member to the squad...1pc 10wt meatstick and Nautilus NV10/11 for incoming tarpon...bring it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP3474.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	18140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3476.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	18141