Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-28-2012, 06:16 PM

Just wondering...

Hypothetically speaking, if there was a sort of mothership operation that could allow you to fish some islands of the Bahamas like Andros, the Berries, or the Joulters out of your own flats skiff, or rent one of theirs, and then at night you sleep and eat on the big boat, would this be something that anyone would be interested in vs staying at a bonefish lodge?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:41 PM

heck yeah but I'm willing to bet once the local bahamian guides caught wind of it that would be the start of them trying to shut you down.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:14 PM

Sounds like a spectacular operation, I know some people who do the same in Cuba, and clients are very happy with it.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:14 PM

And I may have some clients for this operation as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the input so far, as far as Bahamian Guides, I am in no way implying this operation would even be run anywhere near any lodges (concerning Andros) and might even focus more on the fabled "west side" of Andros where I hear there is hardly anyone who fishes. Anyone have any experience with that particular area?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 AM

How about running a simple internet search and you will find mothership operations that have already been there and done that including the west side of Andros.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFSteve View Post
How about running a simple internet search and you will find mothership operations that have already been there and done that including the west side of Andros.
Because I'm not looking for that info, I'm trying to simply find out interest levels.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa1280 View Post
Thanks for the input so far, as far as Bahamian Guides, I am in no way implying this operation would even be run anywhere near any lodges (concerning Andros) and might even focus more on the fabled "west side" of Andros where I hear there is hardly anyone who fishes. Anyone have any experience with that particular area?
Dude. LOTS of lodges run boats over to the west side of Andros. There was a mothership that fished there this year.

I have fished the west side from a lodge on the east side. And yes its pretty good and I would be interested in a mothership trip over there. But you are being either disingenuous or very uninformed to say that you would have this operation not anywhere near where lodges are.

Again, I would really be interested if you set up such an operation but your posts don't give you much credibility.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:29 PM

Hey...Snicker, snicker.... Sounds like a great idea to me Sammy!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:40 PM

Well thats more like the info I was looking for- apparently the west side is fished much more than I have been led to believe, and its good to get info from someone who has actually been there, so thanks for that. Now with you having been there, and with the fact that Andros is around a hundred miles long, and something like 20 miles wide, are there that many lodges that there wouldn't be enough space to stay away from their usual areas?
Again, only asking just to try to get a very general idea of interest and/or potential problems. I realize if one were to really try to go ahead and make this into a business, there would be a lot more research to be done. I'm nowhere near that point!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:41 PM

The big advantage to being on a mothership for the west side of Andros is no long boat ride and it can be a bit choppy if its windy.

I have only been to the west side twice (same week long trip) and while I saw lots of area this was also a number of years ago before there were so many lodges on Andros. Don't know but I suspect there are a half dozen lodges on Andros that fish the west side?
Old 03-31-2012, 05:43 PM

Been fishing Andros for 30 plus only in the beginning did I lodge and that was "The Haven" with Bonefish Charlie and the adventure. My locales have been the Bights, westside from the Bights and westside from Red Bays, all with guides and self Fresh Creek and south oceanside to Young Sound.

IMHO Andros from my POV is identical to KW FLA...the guide is everything...the accomodation is nothing and least of all rockin and rolling in a 3-5 foot short frequency chop on the westside in a mothership of compromise design with marginal shower, marine crapper,...this ain't no Red Rooster out of San D for a 14 day to the Pacific and stuck with 4,5,6 other guests ... no way

Just pick a good guide, stay at the Lighthouse Club in Fresh Creek or Hank's rent a car meet the guide at Cargill Creek and fish...if the wind is right stay on the eastside ocean flat off Big Wood and see as many Permit as KW on a good day...westside for Tarpon poof...you want Tarpon stay in FLA...that's my Op.