Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Tackle Forum

Old 03-31-2012, 07:14 PM
New Reel-Timer

Newbie to saltwater flyfishing... Have questions????

Hello everyone,

I hail from Wild Wonderful West Virginia. I have about 20 years experience fly fishing trout streams here. But on our vacation this year at Kitty Hawk, I would like to try saltwater fly fishing. I have an Orvis 5wgt rod/reel. Was wondering if this would be ok for saltwater use. Or should I go up to an 8wgt?

Also wondering about leader type, flies, and general tackle for salt water? Floating line, intermediate, ???

Will be there first part of June. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Ok I'll start. Go with the 8wgt. I've caught small stripers on a 6wgt but quickly feel challenged when the fish get into the mid twenties.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:14 PM

Re size: It can get pretty windy at Kitty Hawk. You might be even happier with a 9 than with an 8. Here in New England we like 8s for sheltered inshore coves and estuaries, but when we're out in the open and the wind comes up, we bring out the 9s and 10s.

Re lines and leaders: I've fished with both floating and intermediates. The floating lines are easier casting in quiet water. However, in chop, surf, or wind, the intermediates hang underneath the surface commotion and are easier to control.

That's if the fish are holding near the surface. If the fish are holding down deep in holes or channels, you would probably also need a sinking line or at least a sink-tip.

Leaders can be long and tapered, and a lot of people like them that way, but they don't need to be. More often than not a 5' to 10' piece of level 8 to 16 lb test mono is just as good as anything else. You aren't trying to drop a wispy dry fly onto glassy water within a 3" radius of a spooky trout.

Re flies: Matching the naturals is not as critical as it is in trout fishing. A basic white Deceiver anywhere from size 2 to 2/0, is enough to start with. For variety you could add chartreuse-and-white, blue-and-white, olive-and-white, and different kinds of eyes and/or flashy material. Beyond that there are infinite possibilities, but just as anywhere else, the local guides and fly shops should be able to tell you what's been working lately.

Last edited by smcisaac; 04-01-2012 at 12:34 PM..