Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Cinder Worm Workshop

The Cinder Worm Program is on again.

Register Now! Applications taken for both students &mentors

Kettle Pond Visitor Center, Charlestown, Rhode Island

For the past three years, Dave Pollack / Capt. Ray Stachelek and mentors from Connetecticut/ Rhode Island Coastal Fly Fishers Club along with members of Rhody Fly Rodders have been facilitating this instructional program, with the aid of the US Fish & Wildlife and RIDEM. The first two sessions are devoted to tying cinder worm emergence patterns. One Saturday afternoon/evening is devoted to fishing them on Ninigret Pond. Many of you have already participated as students and/or instructors.

We are doing it again in the spring of 2012. Fly tying will be on two weekday nights at the USF&W Kettle Pond Nature Center. Fishing will be on Saturday at Ninigret Park.
We provide all necessary fly tying tools, materials, and fly rod outfits as needed.

Fly Tying: Tuesday May 1st and Monday May 7th
Fishing: Saturday, May 12th

Every year there is a waiting list for new students. The class enrollment is limited to 40 students.
Looking for instructors, our student to teacher ratio ideally would be 3-1.

Pre-registration is required.
The course is free of charge.

For further information and registration contact:
Janis Nepshinsky at 401-364-9124, ext. 28 or
Janis_Nepshinsky@fws.gov

Old 03-29-2012, 09:36 PM

d
Did you see the article in the fly tyer mag. spring 2012
Old 03-30-2012, 08:19 AM

Thanks!

I'll have to take a look at that.
Wonder who wrote it?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 AM

cinder worms

so saw the article in fly tyer very nicely done. I picked up a copy maybe get it signed by that guy.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:11 PM

Just curious? Why would you want to advertise and attract more people to participate in worm hatches? At my spots if I see another person, I hide in the bushes until they are gone.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Worm hatches can be hard to predict. Matter of being in the right place at the right time. Knowing about them and what to use does not mean you going to have a crowd at your local swimming hole. With my schedule, I managed one hatch in the past 8 years.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleomaniac View Post
Just curious? Why would you want to advertise and attract more people to participate in worm hatches? At my spots if I see another person, I hide in the bushes until they are gone.
isleomaniac,

Maybe I posted this on the wrong web site?

Maybe Iím mistaken, but I thought this web site and others related to discussions about fly fishing have always been a focal point to promote the growth, increase knowledge, and make awareness of and just being generally helpful exchanging ideas and opinions to help benefit all of us in pursuing a passion we all share.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:28 AM

Most fishermen nowadays are secretive about their spots, information, etc and don't appreciate it when a club or a gang shows up at their fishing hole.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 AM

isleomaniac- I was under the impressionthat nobody owned the ocean as their own playground. I know some people think they do and act accordingly. I've fished worm hatches when there was no one around and also when even the fish weren't around. Just because someone has some patterns and knowledge doesn't mean they are going to take all the fish in the area. I fish one area withgood worm hatches and one nite a guide and his client decided to cash in on the bounty by tresspassing to get to the bar and fishing perpendicular to the way three others were fishing. Of course the guide caught fish but he was constantly ccrossing lines wjith the other three. We left and found another hatch leaving him and his client to deal with the police when they showed becausse he got caught trepassing to come out.
If you don't want to fish in a crowd then find other areas to fish. The fish do move and the bait is all around.
Ron
Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 AM

Islomaniac, you must spend a lot of time hiding in the bushes.

The issue of "spot burning" draws a lot of comment and controversy. My take: there are very few "secret spots" in RI. The cinder worm program takes folks fishing at Ninigret Pond. That's about as secret as the West Wall or Sprague Bridge, and when the worms are emerging and the bass are on them the word gets out immediately. And the area is large enought to accomodate all of the participants in the program, and many more.

There are a few places that I do not publicize. Small, limited parking, or other issues that would make it unwise to draw crowds. And even those spots, generally, are not secrets - it's just that a post that fish were there yesterday might bring a few more fishermen to a location that can't handle the pressure. Ninigret is not one of those places.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:31 PM

One other addendum to add besides sharing Ö..

In reality, this group of dedicated mentors and volunteers who teach this program and make it prosper have actually improved the cinder worm fishing for all.

Ninigret Refuge was restricted after sunset a few years ago. That meant that fishermen had to be in your car and out of the refuge by sundown before the gates were locked each night. All the coastal shore line belongs to the Federal Government, but access to the area encroaches over town property. It was the town of Charlestown that closed the gates each night.

A few activists here on this board decide to challenge the ordinance. Many here like RJ and others wrote letters to Charlestown officials. These people didnít even live in the area yet cared about the issue. Those documents along with other individual testimony swayed the town council to amend their policy. Now we have a more liberal policy of hours open after dark enabling the fishermen to stay so the very people like you can have the right to fish after dark.

Point two:

The US government will cut funding to any agency that does not get used by the public.
Would you want this area closed for public use? Most of the shore line is private. Kettle Pond Visitor Center would surly close without use. Itís a chance to showcase the states assets and protect them and make awareness of them all at the same time. Would you rather someone trespass pass, liter, destroy, or have a group caretaker and have a watchful eye on our resources. Itís not limiting access to one individual for their own person pleasure. We all should have a share in this.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:05 PM

This is a fun event, even if the hatch isn't on. chance to fish with a lot of like-minded anglers in a beautiful spot. Of course no need to hang if you don't want to, I took off last year and found fish in the Breachway
Old 04-03-2012, 03:14 PM

I emailed Janis but got no reply Hopefully I hear back I would love to attend.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ftp- View Post
I emailed Janis but got no reply Hopefully I hear back I would love to attend.
FTP. if you have not heard from Janis within the next few days, get back to me.

Dave
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 AM

Just a reminder.... two weeks left to register for the Cinder Worm Workshop. So far 21 students are signed-up. We have room for 40.
Scroll to the top of thread for full details.

Fly Tying: Tuesday May 1st and Monday May 7th
Fishing: Saturday, May 12th

Every year there is a waiting list for new students. The class enrollment is limited to 40 students.
Looking for instructors, our student to teacher ratio ideally would be 3-1.

Pre-registration is required.
The course is free of charge.

For further information and registration contact:
Janis Nepshinsky at 401-364-9124, ext. 28 or
Janis_Nepshinsky@fws.gov