Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 PM
The truth is out there...

4/1 season opener at the big lake, more Winni weirdness

Unlike most years, there were plenty of places to fish on Winnipesaukee, nice for the first day of salmon season.

This one started off pretty weird!!

It was much colder than I had anticipated this moring, my launch spot had a big chunk of ice on it, but I was able to get around it and get on the water just before sunrise.

Normally I like to get on the lake while the ice floes are moving around, salmon seem to cruise the edges and it gives you something to work. I found one large chunk of ice right where I launched and the outside edge was on some deep water.

First cast on the edge of the ice with my 1/8 oz tin jig with a 2" tube and bam, a tiny salmon jumps, probably not even 15". It goes down after the jump then gets really heavy and screams the line off my tiny spinner with 4#. At the end of the run, the hook rips out and I'm left thinking about a giant laker that just ate my salmon!

Then I saw a couple good marks on the fishfinder and I always have the 6" hogy at the ready for those marks, dropped it down expecting a laker to eat it on the drop and get nailed. Power run, much faster than a laker, hmm, right away I think it isn't a laker. Sure enough, the fish jets across the surface and my tight drag causes it to skid up on to the ice!

Bam!

Another Winni striper! I hadn't seen one for a couple years and was starting to believe that they had gone back to being a myth. I suspect that I haven't caught them because over the last couple years, my launches have been too late in the morning, dark coves, just before sunrise seem to be the trick.

Now that is the way to start the salmon season!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 PM

The seal population up there has knocked the Striper numbers down quite a bit in recent years.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 AM

I think it might be safe to say that Slappy has the first striper of the season this year.

thats pretty cool!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thumbs up Winni Weirdness

I have always been impressed with your posts.

This one dated 4-1-2012 is one of your best. I know you lost an hour of "Fishing Time" when '"Daylight Savings Time" started while everyone else lost an hour of sleep.

I was so impressed with your post, I borrowed my son's Kayak and I am now on my way to the Granite State to fish the the "Ice Flows" and I have renamed the Kayak. It is now and forever to be called the "Slappy II"

FYI, I am not a fan of "Spot Burning" and I would really appreciate it if in the future when you travel to one of your more exotic Striper locations and have some success, would you please send me a PM first before posting to give me time to beat the crowds.