Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England Freshwater

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 11:07 AM

Opening day at wachusett/ introduction

Hello fellow anglers, I would like to start off by introducing myself. I am mike from central mass, I LOVE FISHING!! I was just wondering if anyone had gone to the chu on opening day. There were alot of pople waiting at all gates and B&A was packed. Went there in hopes of catching my first Lake Trout and with a little guidence from a fellow member, (jewmont), I was able to land a nice 3lb within 5 minutes of the line being in the water. As soon as I released the fish i looked to the right and my other line was zinging and the bobber was no where in sight. Come to find out, I landed the largest small mouth bass thats ever been on the end of my line. A monster 5lb female filled with eggs. Caught her using a bobber and heavy shiner. Thanks and look foward to hearing from you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	18132  
Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 PM

I hear it was a good opening day! I also heard that most of the fish were caught in the morning. We got there later in the afternoon and most said they hadn't got a bite the rest of the day, and we got skunked till dusk.
The fish should be scattered right now, and when you catch a few in an area, there aren't many left.
I am going to give it a couple days and try again!

Bill
Old 04-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Cpt. Of "My Lil Dinghy"

Nice work Mike!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 PM

3 short trips in the evening and I haven't caught a fish! I did see one caught SO fat (with smelt?) it looked like a bass from a distance!

Bill
Old 04-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Cpt. Of "My Lil Dinghy"

I had two trips last friday and sunday. Several lakers both on shiners and spoons. Believe it or not right around noon was the best for throwing metal. Also caught one Salmon Friday and one again on Sunday. Friday on metal and Sunday on a shiner both right around noon. Lakers were really fussy with the shiners on Sunday but they liked to strike them when we were checking our baits! Here is one of the Salmon. Also I did see several pods of smelt very close to shore. I could have reached out and touched them! All the fish that I caught and have seen caught have been very healthy looking and no skinny fish. Caught a few smallies and saw a few others caught as well. I do not know what the water temp is up there right now but I put my boat in a local pond up my way in NH last night and the water temp was 60F!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	388236526597.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	18154  
Old 04-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewmont3 View Post
I had two trips last friday and sunday. Several lakers both on shiners and spoons. Believe it or not right around noon was the best for throwing metal. Also caught one Salmon Friday and one again on Sunday. Friday on metal and Sunday on a shiner both right around noon. Lakers were really fussy with the shiners on Sunday but they liked to strike them when we were checking our baits! Here is one of the Salmon. Also I did see several pods of smelt very close to shore. I could have reached out and touched them! All the fish that I caught and have seen caught have been very healthy looking and no skinny fish. Caught a few smallies and saw a few others caught as well. I do not know what the water temp is up there right now but I put my boat in a local pond up my way in NH last night and the water temp was 60F!!!
Wow, that's a nice landlocked....did it take a few jumps? A noon bite is strange, probably why the evening bite isn't working for me.
When the lakers are fussy w/ shiners try adding general scent to them like anise, garlic, or trout scent and see if it helps.

I have also seen pods of baitfish dimpling the surface close to shore.
Going to try again this evening after 5pm. Maybe try a different spot.

Bill
Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Cpt. Of "My Lil Dinghy"

That picture is the second one I caught. That one I caught on a shiner that I put the air to with the worm blower. We thought it was a bass at first because that is how it was acting before I set the hook. Then it swam at me and I though it was a small laker until it got close to shore then it flipped out but never jumped. The first one I caught was on the spoon and it hit 20ft from shore. That one jumped 4 times and on the 4th jump it landed on the shore!

My cousin fished last night after work in our usual spot and was getting hit on almost every cast with metal except he was only able to hook three and he lost one on the way in. All Smallies. Its possible they are starting to spawn if the water is that warm and they were just head butting it. He went tonight again and got nothing...
Old 04-19-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
That picture is the second one I caught. That one I caught on a shiner that I put the air to with the worm blower. We thought it was a bass at first because that is how it was acting before I set the hook. Then it swam at me and I though it was a small laker until it got close to shore then it flipped out but never jumped. The first one I caught was on the spoon and it hit 20ft from shore. That one jumped 4 times and on the 4th jump it landed on the shore!

My cousin fished last night after work in our usual spot and was getting hit on almost every cast with metal except he was only able to hook three and he lost one on the way in. All Smallies. Its possible they are starting to spawn if the water is that warm and they were just head butting it. He went tonight again and got nothing...
Finally got the skunk off w/ a small but feisty laker right after sundown not more than 15ft from shore on a white spoon. I was going to say I thought it may have been a landlocked as it startled me with a few splashes. Boy these are healthy FAT fish.

You fishing the Rt.110 side?

Bill
Old 04-20-2012, 01:47 PM
fish at all costs

smallmouth wills start spawning once the water temp gets into the lower 50's...I bet a good deal of the smallies in mass have already spawned.

When I used to fish the quabbin alot in the late 90's, early may was the start of the spawn period generally. at that time we'd see water temps in that lake around 55 degrees or so, and by the third week of may most of the spawning was over. I cant get out there till next weekend and I fear it may be alot later in the bite than most would think.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Cpt. Of "My Lil Dinghy"

My cousin was at the chu Saturday and it was dead. His quote in a text..." Place sucks! Bring on the stripers!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:54 PM

There's been a big drop in barometer pressure lately. There are reports of stripers as far north as Maine.

Bill
Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Cpt. Of "My Lil Dinghy"

Yeah I am assuming Saturday was bad because of the incoming storm. I have read many good reports already from the north shore for Stripers! They are very early. I hope it does not mean they leave early too!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:54 PM

5/23

Got a tipple header last week (lol), a FAT laker, then a smallmouth that tailwalked 3 times, then a small largemouth....all within an hour and a half.
Only a smallmouth after sundown monday, I had it on, then it got off, then it came back about 4-5 cranks later! All on spoons.
Going to give it a try tomorrow w/ a friend that got a nice smallmouth 2 weeks ago....maybe a longer walk for lakers (& bass).

Bill
Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Cpt. Of "My Lil Dinghy"

Good to see the Lakers are still biting. We gave up for the year after getting skunked twice! Striper time now.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Good to see the Lakers are still biting. We gave up for the year after getting skunked twice! Striper time now.
How you doing on the stripers? Anything working well for you, day/night, colors/patterns?

Bill