Forum Navigation

Search

Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 AM
MarshVegas

Suzuki Maintenance Question

I have a 15 year old Suzuki 140 hp 2 stroke. Went in the water for the first time in 1997 or 1998. Used strictly as a saltwater boat. Engine is always stored up and out of the water, and it's used relatively lightly. Every year it gets flushed, fogged, and the lower unit drained and re-filled before storage, and the prop gets greased...

My problem is, other than new plugs now and then and a replace of the tilt/trim motor, that's the only service it's ever had... Never once been into the shop, never had the lower unit off. I had someone suggest to me some preventive maintenance - take it in, have the waterpump and thermostat done. Make sure nothings seized up and/or deteriorating after 15 years of use.

What say you - take it in, or just keep running it? And if take it in, any good Suzuki shops south of Boston - south shore preferable.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Beat it!

at 15 years i'm surprised the water pump and t-stats haven't let go, but for the hell of it i'd do it. cheap insurance at that point. 2 strokes don't require much maintenance otherwise (oil changes, filters, timing belts etc.) but that may be quite a project for whoever does it as after 15 years some of that stuff may not come apart that easy. I personally can't recommend anyone as my Suzuki service experience has left much to be desired.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Holy smokes! First off, you'll most likely have a problem getting that LU off, which will most probably require a heat hammer (torch) . PRAY you don’t break a bolt (or stud) , which I honestly think you will.

As far waterpump service and thermostats, use, salinity, and overall cleanliness (sand, silt, etc.) of the water you run in, and “how” you run it, can affect the longevity of the impeller and t-stats.

That said, a general rule is to perform the full waterpump (including new impeller, key, wear plates, O-Rings, etc.) and thermostat service every 200-300 hours or every 2-3 seasons. Some do so annually with significant use. Any of these periods above are “cheap” insurance to the long life of the motor.

On my smaller OBs (< V4 powerheads) I may get 6-8 seasons out of the impeller, or more, but you can bet $$ I pull the LU bolts (1 at a time) everey 2-3 seasons - clean them, re-lube them (use gasket sealing compound) and re-torque them. Then at least I have a good chance of removing the LU in the future without breaking a fastener.

Like you, I’ve had impellers last LONG past 10-years, but now that I do my own service, it’s not a big deal … just $45 or so for the kit (not including t-stats) and < 1-hour of my time. A factory OEM Service manual is worth its weight in gold here! It's not too difficult.

So … since you asked … yes, I’d take it in … but be prepared to spend some $$ if that puppy doesn’t want to come apart or it doesn’t come apart easy.

FWIW, for this type of work I know some marinas love it for "winter work", so that it gives them something to carry them through the off-season. But I don't know of any Suzi dealers south of Boston. But note, for this, you don't need a Suzi dealer, Monhahans in Weymouth could do it (tell Wally I sent you), as could 3A Marine.

MISS TEAK, 25' Parker mod-V Sport Cabin www.classicparker.com

"Life is too short to own an ugly boat ... !"

Last edited by DaleH; 04-06-2012 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-06-2012, 01:00 PM
MarshVegas

How hard is it to get the lower unit off and pull off this kind of service? Any specialized tools usually required? (Of course, other than having everything seized solid....)

Never done much work on the boat, but I do a ton of car work, have a pair of welders, some torches, big hammers, air tools, and am well schooled in the art of "persuasion". Worth taking it on myself instead of hauling it somewhere?

I started thinking about this in the fall... Wish I'd just taken care of it then.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Beat it!

the only real issue is if the stainless fasteners are seized up in the aluminum housing. I too am well versed in persuasion but have never been good at extracting stainless fasteners from aluminum without tearing stuff up. the trick seems to be knowing the fastener is seized before you snap the head off. much easier to drill a bolt out with the flat head of a fastener than without. i count on ez-outs never working in this application. I just assume let a shop do it so if they mangle the housing it is their problem.

otherwise dropping the lower unit and doing the water pump is not a big deal, pretty straightfoward if things come apart.