Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 AM

Charming Inn on New Providence

On our return from the southern tip of Andros in April, my wife and have a two night lay-over in Nassau. We are not into the high rise hotel scene. Does anyone know of a nice place on the beach with charm, Bahamian character, a pool...I imagin a bonefish flat out front would be too much to ask for?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 AM

I 've been staying at Orange Hill Beach Inn on my layovers. it offers most of your criteria, though I don't know how charming it would be. Its close to the airport has a pool and beach and has no resort fees. They have a website.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:37 PM

Thanks for responding, Kalik. We too have layed over at Orange Hill for an early AM flight to an out island. I am looking for something with a bit more charm to make my long suffering, bonefishing wife feel like there is more to Bahamian romance than watching your husband tie flies and repair leaders at some no-seeum infested fish camp.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet+salt View Post
Thanks for responding, Kalik. We too have layed over at Orange Hill for an early AM flight to an out island. I am looking for something with a bit more charm to make my long suffering, bonefishing wife feel like there is more to Bahamian romance than watching your husband tie flies and repair leaders at some no-seeum infested fish camp.
You take your wife, long suffering who indulges your addiction without complaint, to south Andros and then ask for redemption in New Prov...I think there is a better chance of seeing the Easter Bunny upon your return...Now my script for your redemption...bag your flight out of nassau...hit miami rent a car drive to KW spend two or three nights at the Marquesa...walk to the Turtle Kraal go on top tothe Tower Bar...
Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 AM

Hi T-41, I have been hanging out on the Fish&Fly N.Am. forum and have not heard from you in a while. The 2 night layover to compensate for holiday absurd airfares will be spent at Compass Point on New Providence. I do like your Key West idea though... We are fishing out of Mars Bay, do you have any experience with that end-of-the-road southern fishery? Have not been to Andros in several years now, Grand Bahama and the Abacos have been recieving my attention.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:50 PM

Mars Bay

S+S- 1st, I think you'll like Compass Pt. Make sure to take a meal (and appropriate libation) at Travelers Rest.
2nd- I fished w/ Billy Howard at MB last year and found it just what the doctor ordered. No pretense, no frills- just a pleasant lodge and the best access to the world class S. Andros flats. The website is very honest (as is Bill). He doesn't pretend to be Kamalame or Mangrove Cay. But, there isn't much more to do at night than the aforementioned "tie flies and repair leaders in some no-see-um infested fish camp." Mars Bay is pretty lonely. It's interesting, there used to activity here, but all the kids started leaving in the 90's and now there's not a lot going on.
Looking forward to your report. Good luck.
PS- Don't forget some sz. 2+ flies (anything leggy and tan). Leave the 6's and 8's at home. It's a big fly world.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:32 AM

Compass Point provided perfect counterpoint to Mars Bay. We did dine at Travelers Rest and brought in 1st rate conch salad from the stand at the boat ramp between these two facilities. Hot tub, relaxation, Pinia Colladas on our front porch and a cast of international sophisticated travelers was very nice but Bill's Mars Bay was the true charmer. Bill was on top of everything and ran an efficient operation. Food and accommodations were absolutely fine and appropriate and the emphasis was on bonefish. Great habitat and no complaints about burning two tanks of gas to run to where the fish are and the other boats are not. The outfits in the upper bights could take a lesson from this! My #2 tan and olive Crab Cake was our #1 performer and we each caught good fish every day. As is classical, I busted the biggest fish of the trip (9 lb. class) on the last cast of the last day. Only fish I lost except for one inhaled by a 5' Lemon...which but up a hell of a run forcing me to put the brakes on and bust him but, impressively, all my knots held and I got the fly back with a straightened hook. I am the kind of angler always looking for yet better and more diverse habitat; southern Andros is a fishery I will return to.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet+salt View Post
Compass Point provided perfect counterpoint to Mars Bay. We did dine at Travelers Rest and brought in 1st rate conch salad from the stand at the boat ramp between these two facilities. Hot tub, relaxation, Pinia Colladas on our front porch and a cast of international sophisticated travelers was very nice but Bill's Mars Bay was the true charmer. Bill was on top of everything and ran an efficient operation. Food and accommodations were absolutely fine and appropriate and the emphasis was on bonefish. Great habitat and no complaints about burning two tanks of gas to run to where the fish are and the other boats are not. The outfits in the upper bights could take a lesson from this! My #2 tan and olive Crab Cake was our #1 performer and we each caught good fish every day. As is classical, I busted the biggest fish of the trip (9 lb. class) on the last cast of the last day. Only fish I lost except for one inhaled by a 5' Lemon...which but up a hell of a run forcing me to put the brakes on and bust him but, impressively, all my knots held and I got the fly back with a straightened hook. I am the kind of angler always looking for yet better and more diverse habitat; southern Andros is a fishery I will return to.
I'm curious, how were the doctor flies down south when you were there? I was in Fresh Creek the beginning of the month and those suckers were out with a vengeance.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:40 PM

I like to wear shorts with sun screen slathered legs but no way...had to wear long pants and still, when wet, the Dr's bit right through them. They told me there is a special kind of bee that zaps the flies with a 'pop' and when you see them hovering around don't chase em as they are hanging near the bait (you) awaiting their prey! My wife fancied this notion, not!