Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 04-25-2012, 11:29 AM

westport ma/little compton RI vs. kittery/york ME

we are trying to decide on a summer house rental for our family in Little Compton RI/Westport MA area vs. Southern ME/NH coastline. Curious which area folks think has better fishing, particularly for light tackle/fly/kayak. My sense is the Westport area has a longer season and more varied options (albies, bonito, stripers, elizabeth islands etc). But I have also heard good things about NorthI've fished a bit in both areas but curious what folks think...
Old 04-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Administrator

My vote would be the southern choice. Good striper fishing early, bluefish to keep it going, and when bored with that, the bonito show up and if there long enough albies. Plus there are occasions late summer when other species of interest may show.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:19 PM

choice

The southern choice definitely has a longer season. But if you are considering a summer rental, that doesn't matter. When August comes, the inshore waters of Westport are more likely to suffer "dog days" than are the cooler waters of Maine.
Each offers its own kind of variety. In one, a better shot at pelagic species; in the other, a better shot at trout and other fresh water.

This is not to say that I disagree with Bob, just suggesting another perspective. Either one should be good fishing and good fun.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 PM

I second Mr. Parson's suggestion. Caveat: I have little first hand experience w/ southern ME or NH saltwater fishing. My understanding, from what I've read, is that southern ME offers striper and bluefish inshore, and bluefin offshore. If you have a big enough boat and have the ability and desire to pursue bluefin, then ME could be awesome for a summer rental. If however, you're really talking about kayak fishing, then I haven't heard many encouraging words in recent years about inshore striper fishing in ME. One final observation: The water around RI/MA border has much more tolerable temperatures for swimming if there are other members of the family who like to swim rather than fish.
Bob
Old 04-27-2012, 08:27 AM

Don't forget the economics factor. Summer rentals in Westport and especially Little Compton are enough to make a 5000# charging black rhino come to a full stop in 3 feet! I have found the fishing there to be either very good or very quiet.

Cheju