Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 AM

Florida and Massachusetts

About three weeks ago my wife let me know we were going to Florida. At the time I thought it was a good idea after all the Striper fishing hadn’t started. Just before leaving and after hearing some early season reports I decided to fish. I got into more than a few small Stripers and started to think maybe Florida wasn’t such a great idea. While in Florida I trolled up a few small sea trout from a kayak…boring.

Yesterday I got to my favorite spot in Scituate, fished a couple of hours and got nothing. A little after sunset however the fish started to break. In the next half hour I picked up a couple of Stripers and lost a couple more.

I’m happy to be home.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:47 PM

Good to hear you got into them. There have been some bigger fish further up from your spot.

Steve
Old 05-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Registered Peruser

If you're implying that fishing is better in New England than it is in Florida, I would seriously beg to differ! Hook up to a grouper, Spanish or King mackeral, or Cobia and you'll be singing a different tune.
Glad to hear you're catching fish up here but maybe on your next trip down south hire a guide or find a source of local knowledge, you're missing out!

chris
Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Bucko,
If you'r wife decides to head down here next year, give me a hollar and tell me where you are going to be. I can probably put you in touch with a guide or a tackle shop ahead of time that will get you into some of our big fish - grouper, Spanish or King mackeral, or Cobia as Gadabout
mentioned or Redfish, Snook, Bonefish or Tarpon depending on where you will be and when you will be there.
BillH

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/
Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM

It’s a preference situation for me.

I’ve been vacationing in the Naples Florida area for 30+ years. Some of the fish I’ve caught there include; grouper, snook, barracuda, lady fish, red fish, jack, Spanish mackerel and what I think was a lemon shark. One of my favorite fish is the mangrove snapper. I‘ve also seen a few Cobia hanging around crab pot lines but never hooked up.

This morning I walked and waded for about two hours in Scituate. Fished a jetty. the surf, a bowl and found them where a flat washes into a channel. I caught 3 bass, the biggest about 28 inches….a good day.

It’s the type of fishing I like best.

Last edited by bucko; 05-08-2012 at 07:04 AM..
Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Florida & Massachusetts

Bucko, did not know you were in Florida, myself and other friends were concerned as to why you were among the missing with all the early action going on with the Stripers. Welcome home.

I am actually heading down to Sanibel on Saturday for a week with the hopes the Snook will be back on the beaches and the the winds will be conducive to a little sight fishing.

I know one thing, my arm can use the rest, the Stripers have been beating me up. I love fishing here and in Florida, two different world with different charms and rewards. Like all three of my Children, each is different but I love them all equally as much, just like Striper, Trout or Snook fishing. Variety is the Spice of Life.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Registered Peruser

Well said Dick!
Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 PM
ANeary

Bonefish Dick I have to agree, variety is the spice of life. Spring is here in the northeast east and the striper bite is starting, hopefully a worm hatch in the next few weeks in RI or some night fishing on the CT river. I just returned for a late season trip to Pulaski NY to chase a few fall back Steelhead and we were rewarded with a variety of fish, suckers, carp, smallies, Steelies, some domestic rainbows and a couple nice atlantics. Trout fishing has been rewarding as well, the water in the rivers had been down due to lack of snow and rain but we had some rain over the last few weeks and things are good. Hendricksons have been here and maybe gone but the trout fishing has been fantastic, a couple very big brown trout in the Farmington. I'll be heading down to Vero over Memorial day and hope to find some hungry Tarpon on the beaches or in the Indian River. If not Tarpon I'm sure we'll find a few reds or some trout. Life is good when you have a line in the water and the possibiliy of a nice fish on the other end.