Forum Navigation

Search

Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 PM

Best position to store kayak.

Having my first kayak, I was wondering how to best store a kayak for the winter (outside). On its side, flat etc.
Also, will the material lose its shape if not supported properly?
Old 10-01-2010, 11:49 AM
The truth is out there...

I keep mine upside down.

Make sure nothing is put on top of them too.

Most kayak makers recommend either standing upright or storing on the rails (flipped upside down) with multiple support points.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

I asked each time I bought one of my kayaks and got the same reply from the dealers -
store it on end if you have the height or store it upside down with support(I used 2X4s) under each end of the cockpit 4 for the SoT. All of my kayaks but one were sit-inside.

This and other original paintings and fine art prints of fishing and marine subjects may be seen on my website
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com/
Old 02-20-2011, 02:25 PM

Kayak Storage

However you can keep the inside dry (sit-in kayak), I don't think there is anyway to improperly store a kayak. Standing on end, or leaning on side, or upside down on some sort of stand. Just make sure no excessive weight is positioned on top of the kayak or if it is positioned using straps don't tighten excessively you could get a little deformation in a polyethylene boat. Prolonged water in the cockpit can cause the floatation to start coming apart or mold to grow, floatation coming apart can leave little foam pieces all over the place every time it is used.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 AM
If It Swims I'll Catch It

On it's side is best for most yaks. It's the most practical and stiffest orientation. I have done this with a Pungo for 10 years, and a Hobie for 3 with no signs of trouble

The World's Foremost Authority on My Own Opinion
Old 12-10-2012, 08:14 PM
New Reel-Timer

the gunnel

ray is right, so is someone else, the strongest part of a plastic or glass boat is where the seams connect, they call it a gunnel. the point touching ground when you turn the boat up onto its side. same as standing the boat on its nose and leaning it into a tall corner, this method may add a little pressure to the plastic but keeps all that space we keep runnin out of. its easy to stand on its nose or side and lean against a sturdy tree in the woods or against a support beam in the basement or garage. im afraid the old saw horse upside down trick has done some unfixable damage to my pops pungo 120
Old 12-15-2012, 08:34 AM
NH Inshore Reel-Timer

From Hobie's website:

"IMPORTANT: Do NOT hang your kayak from the bow and stern handles. These handles are designed for carrying the kayak, not for hanging for long periods of time. The plastic will slowly stretch over time and possibly even eventually fail which will create a hole.

When storing your kayak, it is important to be sure that it is well supported.

On the Ground or a Rack

You can store your kayak upside down resting on two crossbars. The rails of the kayak are very stiff and can support the weight easily.
Padded crossbars will reduce the chance of any scratches or marks on the rails.

If you must store it right side up, use cradles or something that is shaped to the contour of the hull. It the kayak is resting right side up with little to no support, this puts the entire weight of the kayak on one point on the bottom and possibly cause a flat area to develop. We do offer custom molded cradles for the Adventure Island and the Pro Angler.

Hanging

If you plan on hanging your kayak from a ceiling, a minimum of one inch webbed strapping should be used to spread the load of the kayak over more area. Using rope to support is may leave dents in the rails, especially in the heavier kayaks. Best if stored upside down with the strap loads on the stiff cockpit rails."
Old 02-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Best position to store kayak

I have read this post a number of times and after a lot of long and careful consideration I have come to the conclusion and that is, this is the best way to store a kayak..

The answer is " at my house "