Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Kayaks

Old 07-08-2013, 05:01 PM

ocean kayak trident 13; yays and nays

I'm looking to get a sit on top in place of my pungo120; looking for more room for rods and stuff and a little more stability. The pungo is ok; it's quick and light but it's getting a little cramped and I question its stability vs a SOT. Weight is an important factor as I'm small framed, not a body builder, and I'm not getting any younger. I'll be using it in Buzzards and the sound. So far the trident 13 looks doable at 56 lbs vs. 59 for the pungo. I'd welcome any thoughts on the matter. thanks...ron
Old 07-11-2013, 02:17 PM

I just went though the research and purchase process and had the trident 13 on my list. I then bumped it off the list and went with the Jackson Cuda 12. I'll preface this by saying I'm a newbie to kayak fishing, so I can't give you a lot of on the water experience. But I do like the way it paddles and tracks and the features are awesome -- 3 ram rod holders, go pro mounts, rod tip protector, and an amazing seat. I stand and fly fish pretty easily from it as well.

I also bought a LL Versa board, which is a hybrid SUP and Kayak. I have the swivel seat on it and it's really stable and set up well for standing and fly fishing or using like a yak. My daughter was out with me in Westport on Sunday and she paddled the versa as a kayak. I thought it would be slow, but seems to move pretty well.