Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-16-2013, 04:12 PM

New to fishing from a kayak

I could use a little help if possible.

I bought a fishing kayak in May and Spring fishing went well. My biggest fish in the kayak was a 30" blue.

The heat is causing the Thames River to empty out and I'm now trying to get the hang of fishing in stronger currents among a lot of boat traffic. Sometimes I am scared witless!

I can muscle through a decent current and do well with finding my spot to sit, ride a drift and throw casts.

At the next possible chance I am planning to practise re-entry and have watched a lot of safety videos. I would feel a lot better if I weren't always out there paddling alone. I need someone to hold my hand if anybody is willing.

Question - Is it ever a good idea to pull up on a beach? I have gotten beat down by the surf and don't know if it's my lack of skill/knowledge or if it's just a bad idea all around.

I'm in Connecticut. Anybody need a buddy??
Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 AM

Welcome! You're smart to look for a buddy if you're new. I'm outside of your area, but you may also want to post on the NEKF forum. You may find some CT kayakers there. (www.newenglandkayakfishing.com)

Best of luck.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Hope to find an experienced fishing buddy!

I also fish in RI. Especially in the fall chasing the albies. If you ever want to fish with a horrible fishergirl and watch me drop some nice fish, keep me in mind. I'm your girl. lol

I often fish alone and could use some company. Hit me up.

Last edited by Stripergirl; 07-17-2013 at 07:34 PM..