Forum Navigation

Search

Old 11-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Things Learned

This year I used more Clousers than I have used in the last ten years combined. My go to fly is still my Chartreuse and Yellow Betsy and I doubt that will ever change.

What I have learned over time when it comes to what should I use as a coating for the head on my flies I found clear Sally Hanson Hard as Nails polish to be the easiest and most economical way to go.

I have not tried any of the UV light assisted coatings and most likely will not. The main reason is not really the expense ( I could write a book on money wasted on various ideas and products ). The main reason is a lot of people talk about the tacky finish after the curing and then use nail polish to resolve that issue. For that reason I have never explored the product at all. I might want explore it to use it for making certain types of flies at some point where I can think of certain applications when I would use something like Clear Goo for example. If I had to use nail polish to resolve a tacky issue might as well skip that process and just use the nail polish to begin with

Most of my flies at one time all had epoxy covered with nail polish on the head. I stopped using that because it would often discolor over time and second reason was I would always first use a thin coat of nail polish to seal the thread on the head before painting my eyes to prevent bleeding and then use epoxy over that. What I found over time was the epoxy would eventfully start to flake off and expose the thread and I attributed that the the nail polish under the epoxy not bonding very well.

I then tried other cements including Flex cement but that turned Milky in the salt. Clear loon head cement seemed OK as well as regular head lacquer but the Sally Hanson in the end seemed like the best option.

Another reason I got away from epoxy was on my clousers after the fly was toast or the hook trashed on a rock was if the real eyes ( my favorite) were still good they could be recycled with the nail polish but not the epoxy. The only draw back with the nail polish was the odor. The flies need to air out at least 24 hours if possible.

I guess my questions is there any product that might work better than the nail polish and be as durable as well. The advantage of the epoxy was one coat on a wheel drier and done if you did not coat it with nail polish to give it a nice shine. Nail polish usually requires 3 coats.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Administrator

I used the hard as nails products since I first started making saltwater flies. I am dabbling with a uv coating right now. Being lazy I generally ignore the fact that it might be tacky and just use it as is.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:54 PM

Epoxy Subtitute

I have been using this stuff for a couple of years. Seems to work pretty good. Kinda like a cross between Nail Polish and Epoxy.

I copied this out of the catalog I buy it from.
"LIQUID FUSION" Clear Urethane-Amazing! The strength of epoxy with NO MIXING. Dries hard and clear, non-toxic, 100% Waterproof, fast drying, no obnoxious smell, and it thins and cleans up with water. Frankly, I can't see why I'd ever use epoxy again. HERE'S SOME USES: Right out of the squeeze bottle it's the perfect consistency for affixing decal and 3-D eyes, building shell-backs on shrimp and scud patterns, or putting a thick, epoxy like coating over an entire streamer/baitfish/minnow head, including the eyes. HERE'S A TIP: once you've applied the Liquid Fusion in its original state (right out of the bottle), dip a small paint brush in water and brush over the Liquid Fusion to shape and smooth it. Thin with water until you create the perfect consistency for your application. Add glitter, or add color by mixing with acrylic paint if you like. With a brush, paint it right on foam or cork popper bodies for added durability. MORE USES: Because Liquid Fusion thins with water, you can make it any consistency you like. I mixed a batch in a Loon Applicator bottle that I'm using as head cement. Thin it to "watery" for penetrating type cement, or a little thicker to build up "glossy" fly heads. The uses are endless. $8.95/2-oz squeeze bottle

PM me if you want to know where I get it. I think posting commercial links are against the rules.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thumbs up joebe

Thanks this is a great reply with a lot of very good information, It will be very helpful.

I was able to get it at the Bearsden. Sorry I should have replied sooner.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Joebe, in a case like this where you are trying to help someone versus pushing a product for personal gain, I am good with you posting a link.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Non-Swimming Reel-Timer

I bought Liquid Fusion at Jo-Ann Fabrics and A.C. Moore for a lot less...
Old 12-11-2013, 01:58 PM

Liquid Fusion

Just bought it at Michaels regular $7.95, with 40% off coupon a lot less. Seems to work well for clousers.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:18 PM

Things learned

I have to agree with you about using Hard as Nails, Dick.
There's a lot to be said for simplicity! Doesn't take much to get a few coats on a fly. I keep a bottle of HaN next to my computer along with a couple of corks full of flies. While I'm watching Davie McPhail or another tier, it's easy and fast to put a coat on a few flies, leave them there, and repeat when necessary.

LB
Old 01-03-2014, 08:58 AM

I too love my TaN but have to say - the UV Clear Cure isn't so bad. There is a slight tack to it after it cures but that's easily removed by a quick rub down with some rubbing alcohol. TBH, most flies I tie, I tend to just cure them and leave the tack - after a few casts in the salt, the residue is all but gone. I also prefer the clear cure on sandeel patterns and ones where an epoxy head buildup is required. The ability to paint and harden quickly is awesome when creating an epoxy head / body.

Just one man's opinion :-)

-GS