Forum Navigation

Search

Old 12-01-2014, 12:09 PM

Fishing 'chu and comet; freshwater forum dying

Fished wachusett for lakers on Sunday off the railroad bridge, tried a lot of stuff, no luck. Went over to comet and fished for bows. No hits until nearly dark, then kayak bud got one good one and that was it, using worms.

On another note, (I am sure Bob Parsons will be reading this), it appears that the reel-time freshwater forum is about dead. Over the past year, only myself, Bob, the fishingshopss poster, and a few others, have made significant numbers of thread posts, and there have been very few replies. I hate to see this forum go the way of surfcaster.com, which finally closed a few weeks ago, but that's where it appears to be now. It's a pity, because this was a great forum several years ago. Sorry to see it slowly drying up. Looks like Facebook has killed another one.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:36 PM
Cpt. Of "My Lil Dinghy"

I am not so sure its facebook thats killing this forum. I have noticed over the last several years a lot of crowding at the areas I fish. I am sure you all have seen the same thing. Some people blame this on ease of sharing information which may be why people are reluctant to post anymore.

We have seen a huge increase in people at wachusett reservoir over the last 3-4 years and seems to get worse every year. No matter how far you walk to a spot people come piling on you. Fishing mere feet away and crossing your line constantly. At a spot we frequently fish there that is about a 2 mile hike one way we kept seeing new people. They would talk to us and tell us they had never been there before etc... We wondered where they were finding out this spot from and then I found it on facebook. Wachuseet Reservoir Addicts... a group made by a couple of kids and after some investigation they are spilling the beans about everything there. I have no problem with people sharing/asking information on a dedicated forum like this but on a social media site like facebook put a bad taste in my mouth especially after seen what had happened from it.

Dunno if this is the problem but just my 2 cents.

-Mike
Old 01-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Administrator

The freshwater forum is an after thought from the main New England forum. Tends to get some activity during the ice season (which looks like it will be short on the cape) and certain spring fall times.

While small there is still a group that posts about saltwater. Never posting exact locations. It is changes in social media that has damaged public forums like this. People don't like lurkers that take, take, take and not contribute.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:08 PM

I guess I'm a lurker but I'm not happy about that fact. Mostly, I think it's just a matter of feeling as though I have nothing interesting to contribute to others.( if you all would like some good fishing stories disguised as fiction, maybe I could come up with something. Burning spots is a recurrent theme in my rantings.)
Another factor is the scarcity of trips I've done in the last few years.
I'm still daydreaming about the great "Blue River Massacre of 2013" from our trip to Colorado. Lots of good middle-distance staring from that excursion!
Anyway, just thought I'd see just how many people are tuned into the Forum lately.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:03 PM

Well ... I'm here.

Pretty much done it all but now that I'm staring at 70, the fly rod is now my lever of choice.

Used to contribute to the striper and bluefin columns but got tired of being told that I didn't know what I was talking about. Pretty funny when the bulk of my income, for twenty years, came from hunting these these two species.

Oh well, I'll chirp up every once in a while but rarely. I do have a question though:

In the eastern half of the state, are there 'no bait', catch and release ponds? Fly fishing only?
Old 05-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Administrator

I have not heard of any public ponds. There are some club ponds that are a that way.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:10 AM

There's a bunch in NH and ME, don't know of any C&R ponds in MA but there are C&R fly only sections of rivers, Swift, Nississit are a couple, don't know of any within 3--40min of the coast though.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Old Time Reel-Timer

Higgins Pond in Nickerson State Park is C $ R with no bait allowed.