Forum Navigation

Search

Old 09-14-2016, 06:25 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Lost Parking

This is a copy and past with permission from another site.

Posted September 12 2016 - 3:15 PM
... you've just lost some parking on the complaint of a wealthy property owner.

There was previously a small patch of shoulder parking along Harbor Beach Road, by Cedar Beach Road, on Mt. Sinai Harbor. It is marked off with two signs: Parallel Parking Only, and No Parking 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 a.m. I've lived in Port Jefferson Station for 35 years, in my current home, for 32 years, and that patch of shoulder has always been accessible for parking. Now it's gone.

I was driving back from my mid-morning caster's constitutional at Cedar Beach when I passed a payloader and truck placing the last of a series of boulders along the edge of the road to prevent parking. (The signs permitting parking are still up). By the time I'd doubled back to inquire, the trucks were gone.

Shoreline access is always problematic. It struck me as likely that one of the homeowners who live on the north side of Harbor Beach Road had either placed the boulders himself (things like this have happened before in Brookhaven) or persuaded the Town to do this. I knocked on the door of the nearest house, and no one was home (though a careful neighbor did come over to check me out; good guy) and then went back to Cedar Beach. The Harbormaster did not know anything about the boulders, but referred me to Parks Maintenance, which has vehicle and equipment space on the beach. The Parks Maintenance buildings were deserted, but on the way out of Cedar Beach, I spotted a payloader at work near the main pavilion.

Pulling in, I found a Parks Dept. guy and spoke with him. As soon as I asked about those boulders he knew I was a fisherman. (Clearly, he knew this was going to be a problem.) Yes, the Parks Dept. did it; yes, there's a homeowner who asked that it be done. He declined to tell me who (which is fine, it's not his job to referee disputes between constituents) but called his supervisor, who told him to tell me to call Commissioner Edward P. Morris. The boulders were installed on his order, apparently earlier today.

I left a message for Comm'r. Morris on his secretary's answering machine., at 2:15. It is now 2:59 p.m., and I have not had a call back. I will call again, later (Parks closes at 4:30 p.m.) and report here on the results.

The longer those boulders sit in place, the harder they are to remove. If you use those spaces, please contact Parks within the day. If you drive by the area, please whip out your cell phone and take detailed pictures of the parking area, the boulders, and the Parking signs. As soon as people start calling about the loss of the parking area, the maintenance crew will be told to pull the parking signs and fill up the hole. If your phone will geotag or date tag the photos, so much the better.

The gentleman who needs to be contacted is as follows:

Edward P. Morris, Commissioner of Parks and Recreation
286 Hawkins Road
Centereach, N.Y. 11720

Telephone (631) 451-8686

This is not a direct line. All calls go to this number, apparently a central operator for the Town. Expect to wait awhile for "the next available agent".

There is, I am sure, an email address, but the telephone operator said she didn't have it. If you discover it, please post it here.

A reminder. You will be just a voice on the phone. The homeowner has to have called everyone who might have authority (that would Councilwoman Jane Bonner, in whose district this is, Mr. Morris, and Supervisor Romaine), to get this to happen. Be polite; be specific, and be persistent. Further details will be posted here as I develop them.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:00 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

More info

I posted this with permission from another site because of the situation and I have been following it and a lot more information has been posted since. At this point it does not look like the outcome looks favorable.