Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Fly Fishing Topics > Hall of Fame

Old 09-26-2002, 08:39 PM

Tuna-Wishin - maybe we should start a support group for folks who have hooked and lost. I spent 4 1/2 hours hooked up to these beasts (80-100lbs) on flies this fall- only to lose both near (or 50 feet under) the boat... I have forgotten stripers, family, friends.... my wife thinks I've gone 'round the bend..
even thought of following the fish to N. Carolina...
I may need professional help....

I will never forget the site of a 60" fish hitting that fly though...
who wee - this really is the crack equivalent for fly fishing.

See you in rehab...
Old 09-27-2002, 06:10 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

retrieve rate

Okay, If people are unwilling to give up lure info , how about retrieve rates. I've been using, and been told, that a fast retrieve is the way to go with the metals and such. Anyone had luck with a slow or stop and go?
Old 09-27-2002, 07:03 AM

2 ways we found, cast, twitch, let it sit....or cast...then real like a banshee
Old 09-27-2002, 07:06 AM

Glennon-
I hear you on your end, I have spent many hours working on crab patterns for bass so I know what your saying. I am from Maine and will be down there on Monday/Tuesday trying for them, I guess my frustration is if I had the TIME to be down there I would figure it out (like all the fishing I do). Anyway, I hope to SEE them and will try you on 66 if we are in the same area (our boat is catch22). Good luck next week, I hope they don't go far after this blow??
Old 09-27-2002, 08:44 AM

finatic,
They'll still be there. Will you be throwing flies or lures or both?

As for retrieves. We have found it depends on the day. The ones that have worked out the best are.

1) (lure/fly) If you get a cast off right into the honey pot (the exact point at which a good number of fish are hitting at that moment. The absolute best retrieve is a twitch retrieve that keeps the metal/fly at the surface but does not move too quickly out of that spot. We have found that if you make it look like a previous fish has just wounded it another is almost certain to pick off that struggling little baitfish

2) (lure/fly) Retrieve number two is if you get a cast off to a good sized breaking school that is scattered. In other words there isn't a main spot for the activity. Then you have to move the lure as if it was running for it's life (which it is). This will help cause a reaction strike and has caused our most knee weakening strikes. This retrieve also works if you screw up your cast and your cast ends up on the edge of the breaking school. Works for two reasons. Looks like the baitfish is trying to get away from the slaughter and it allows you to (possibly) make another cast before they go down.

3) (lure) If you pull up just as they start to go down or if there is the occasional hit where there was just a school breaking then you need to have a completely different retrieve. Cast out and let it start to sink with the occasional twitch. We haven't caught many this way but it seems like they have all been bigger fish. We have had some fish pick it up without us moving the lure on the initial drop. Just watch your line to see if it starts moving off in a different direction or if there is no weight all of a sudden. We haven't had much success with flies or topwater lures in this scenario.

4)Top water lure/fly retrieves are just your normal type retrieves.

I'm not saying these retrieves will work all the time but we have had very very good success with them. Although it could be my secret weapons and not the retrieve.

Good luck
Old 09-27-2002, 09:02 AM
Punk @ss Veteran RT'er

I can understand the gripe people have with those who have the "secret weapon." It is pretty ridiculous and childish. Then again I can see the point of view of having done your homework. I don't know... I was sworn to secrecy for a certian "secret weapon," and have done so. But it does seem pretty stupid.

I like it when others are successful and having fun too(unless you're a dick), which is why I think I'd make a good guide. We're hopefully out there to have fun, respect eachother and the environmet...not to act like a bunch of babies, jockeying for position and hiding your test answers. (I would sometimes let the cool chics cheat off my paper )

Paul
Old 09-27-2002, 09:11 AM

Hey Glennon,

Good info. I be sure to scan 66 if I make it out Sunday. I had an accomplice stumble on to technique 3. He made a cast into a pod, had small birds nests, which he quickly straightened out, then the line straightened right out and fish was on.
Experiment, that's the key, especially when you get so many casts at them. Then you need to remember how you had hooked up, work it till you need another technique. Good luck!
Old 09-27-2002, 09:12 AM
Administrator

For what it's worth...

More important than knowing "the secret lure or fly" is understanding how tuna feed and what it is that makes lures/flies successful. The old saw "give a man a fish and he eats tonight, teach him to fish, he eats forever..." comes to mind.

From my experience with tuna, the hot color or lure one week or one day isn't always the hot one the next. That's what makes these fish so utterly addictive. You cannot, ever, completely figure them out. What you can do is learn enough that your hit/miss ratio starts to swing into a more favorable realm.

An angler should never, ever forget that these fish have incredible sight. Little things can turn them off on your lure, fly or bait. Your attention to detail has to be near perfect.

Of course, the next day, they'll come close to hitting anything you throw at them. They can be unpredictable to the point of borderline schizophrenia.

So don't worrry so much about what the secret lure/fly or color is - try to discern what it is that makes certain lures/flies successful. In the long run, you'll be a lot happier.

BTW, thanks for the great reports Glennon - also glad to hear you're doing the C&R thing. These fish take a long time to reach the 600 lb. range.
Publisher
Reel-Time.com
Read my blog at AllThingsCahill.com
1 2 3 4 5 6
Old 09-27-2002, 09:33 AM

Nice summary Mark.

Guys like Saltybugger & Glennon are being more than generous with information and should be thanked instead of attacked.

I too have not hooked up on the fly yet but here is a list of flies that friends of mine have had success with:

1. Angel hair baitfish, olive over white, blue over white
2. Crease fly, olive & blue over silver
3. Sar mul mac
4. Surf candy, olive
5. Clouser, olive over white
6. Deceivers, all white

Sinking lines & floating lines.

Good luck!

Roop
Old 09-27-2002, 09:37 AM

naw some people would rather attack
Old 09-27-2002, 10:29 AM

Glennon-
Thanks for the advice, I agree with all that color is not as important as figuring out their feeding. That's why I feel if we can find them we got a good shot, I'm fishing with 2 others and we are all experienced anglers on all kinds of fish (except bluefin!). We will be throwing flies if conditions and numbers of fish permit and throwing metal as well (whatever works!!).
I'll try and reach you on the radio as well if your out on Mon./Tues/Wed. ...

Tight loops and lines
Old 09-30-2002, 12:52 PM
Salt Obsessed in Detroit

Last boring quip....A previous post hit the nail on my head-> TIME. As my sad handle indicates, I live in Michigan of all places and I'm obsessed w/ FF in NaClH2O. There's no way I can devote anywhere near the time as you lucky studs to the pursuit of BFT's. I fully understand the concept of protecting your secrets and do appreciate the info that has heen freely given as I stated in my previous post ( I also appreciate the fact the Glennon read it as intended and didn't respond like I was attacking him). My point is this: US part timers lurk on these sites to give us the best shot during that 2-5 day trip we spend the whole GD winter dreaming/planning/tying for. We educate ourselves in the classroom because the water is a dream. This is the classroom. We are indebted and yet always wanting more.

Now go out there and cast!