Forum Navigation

Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2000, 08:34 PM

BSF's North Fork Striper Classic

A group of about 20 Bayshore Flyrodders braved the weather this past weekend and put together some respectable catches. Most of the anglers fished the points and creek outlets near Southold. The fishing was steady with mostly schoolie action. One creek in particular gave up 80 or so bass in an hour on the outgoing for several anglers. Using a tandem rig, multiple doubles were taken. Not to be outdone the Bluefish made their presence known. The few anglers who were in boats had all the blues they could handle. The pirahna were busting 3 to 4 inch silversides in the South Race, then they eventually scattered into small pods into the Peconic Bay as the tide came in. A fish on each cast was the rule, top water poppers and Crease flies took a beating. All of the fish were in the "Taylor" category. I personally did not hear of any Weaks being taken and I won't even mention the numerous Sandy Hook Grouper(SR) caught. It was a good ending for me as I lost count of the fish caught, even sweeter was my last Striper which measured 11lbs on the Boga. A special thanks to Leo Alessi who put it all together. Tight lines, Brendan.