Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-16-2000, 02:49 PM
Reel-Timer

Plum Island Horseshoe Pitch

Witnessed a real neat way to release a bass this morning in Newburyport. After you land the fish by lipping it with your thumb, pitch it just like you would a horseshoe back into the water. The key to this technique, or so it seems, is to have the fish land hard a few feet shy of the water. what an absolute disgrace to watch. I know I am preaching to the choir here but I needed some where to vent my anger besides trying to take it out on the culprits themsleves. When confronted these brainiacs seemed self assured in their greater numbers that I could not be serious about taking offense to their unique catch-and-release techniques. We must take a stand against this abuse of such a valuable resource.-John Kelly
Old 06-16-2000, 06:20 PM
If It Swims I'll Catch It

RE: Plum Island Horseshoe Pitch

John

I agree with you completely that this is abuse of fish can't be tolerated. I watch a lot of fishing shows on TV, and see several of these so called pro's (mostly largemouth bass fisherman), release fish by just THROWING them back in the water. I will admit that schoolie bass are very energentic and will quickly recover, but the larger fish that give up a good fight (and energy) need to be revived and released knowing that they want to go on their own. I always practice safe catch and release.

Happy fishing

Ray
Old 06-16-2000, 09:12 PM

I can not count how many times i have been up to my waist in the water, reviving stripers . Its to bad too many people take for granted what we have.

Cj

P.S. As for people i see taking advantage or degrading the sport. I hold nothing back . I want my kids to experience
the same thrill i have chasing stripers.
Old 06-16-2000, 10:14 PM

Nope...got you guys beat! I prefer to witness the "Brad Daluiso" revival method. Unhook the fish on the sand, let if flap around for about 5 minutes and then proceed to KICK the fish down the beach, into the water and wonder why it's not swimming away.

People like that make me sick. They should come up with a fine for abuse of a fish. Something like anything that MUST be measured and has a keeper limit is protected. Any "Ill" revival methods go punished with $50 fine!

They do it with herring, why not with Stripers?!

My $.02
Bob
Old 06-16-2000, 10:24 PM

Here's one of the potential cures for this deplorable attitude......... 1-800-632-8075 Mass EPO.

I'm 6' 1' and 228 and have no problems getting in the face of these guys; maybe they might learn something, maybe not, but at least they would know some people do not tolerate they're %^$#@ behavior.

I too have stood in the water for long periods of time trying to revivie fish; sometimes I succeed, other times I'm too late.

I too wish the fishing programs practiced true catch and release techniques instead of unhook and throw.
Old 06-17-2000, 12:23 PM

Sounds like you ran into a real ****a. Remember some folks don't have a clue, and it is up to those that do to take a moment to explain the correct procedures. Lofgreen
Old 06-17-2000, 01:01 PM

Amen to that! We need to remember that people aren't born knowing how to do things. This talk of fines is crazy.
If you want to play into the hands of the animal rights groups just start screaming about fish abuse! They will gladly use that against sport fishermen! Educate the people you meet and fish with. Thanks

Old 06-17-2000, 03:22 PM
Reel-Timer

10-4
jk
Old 06-17-2000, 05:47 PM

>>Here's one of the potential cures for this deplorable attitude......... 1-800-632-8075 Mass EPO.
>>I'm 6' 1' and 228 and have no problems getting in the face of these guys.

...Well, I'm not 6'+, 228lbs, and in fact I pay way too
much in taxes to get beaten up for doing the job of a
state employee. That being said, I did just put the
phone number you supplied into my cell phone. Thanks for
supplying it!

-Phil
Old 06-17-2000, 07:46 PM

Hi Phil,

I definitely understand your decision. I myself do not like to get in people's faces, but sometimes.......... You just need to let them know. Some of the people I have educated do not seem to know the laws and others, education will never benefit them. These are type who ruin everything for all of us by beach closures, restricted parking, etc.

Maybe if enough of us begin calling the Mass EPO office from a given area reporting offenders we might make a difference by having undercover officiers patroling the beaches.

Fines maybe good, but again, it's cannon fodder for the animal activitist groups who contribute nothing, but in my opinion, fall into the same group as the losers we are discussing.

Stepping off my soap box!
Old 06-17-2000, 08:21 PM

That is sickening....almost as bad as I have seen commercial fisherman treating the so called "by catch"!!
Old 06-17-2000, 08:21 PM

That is sickening....almost as bad as I have seen commercial fisherman treating the so called "by catch"!!
Old 06-19-2000, 11:46 AM

RE: Plum Island Horseshoe Pitch *PUNT*

Bob,

Yeah, that's called the PI punt. :-(