Forum Navigation

Search

Old 12-06-2017, 01:55 PM

2017 Review and Comments

2017 was a good year for Stripers on a fly rod and wading here on Cape Cod. Numbers wise over a 1000 and I got my December fish.

Small Bass – The bass were small. The average about 16 inches. The fish were feisty, bright and more than a few fat. For their size they put up a good fight. I can’t recall seeing a single fish with mycobacteria.

Legal Bass – Although I caught more than a few 20 + inch fish I got only one legal bass. It was in June, a low tide, just as dark was setting in. The fish got deep into my backing. After beaching and unhooking my black fly I needed two hands to get the fish back into the water. I think the fish was in the high 30 inch class. I didn’t get a picture. My smartphone, wet fingers, darkness, old age and a quick release prevented that.

Albies – None. I attempted to find spots with limited pressure but that didn’t work out. I then decided to try an area with a lot of pressure and that didn’t work either.

Incidental Fish – Sea robins, mackerel, porgy, summer flounder, a single blue and what I think was a Gar. At first I thought it was a needle fish but the bill was more blunted than a needle fish and color brownish…the body was thicker than a needle fish. It bit me and drew blood.

How was your year?

Last edited by bucko; 12-06-2017 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 12-07-2017, 03:42 PM

Bucko Had a fun year catching Bass and Blue Fish also caught my first albie with my friend Steve Torrey on his Boat . I hadn't caught an Albie in Years .I did a lot of fishing on the cape. I also did a far amount of fishing on the North Shore catching plenty of bass.I fish this year with both a fly rod and a Surf rod .What a great May i had fishing with my brothers Billy and Mike .One weekend i look forward to was the weekend of the Cheeky Schoolie tournament We had a great outing .Looking forward to that again in May 2018.