Forum Navigation

Search

Old 01-15-2017, 11:00 AM

Bahamas Flats Fishing Lisence, Eleuthera

I thought this may be helpful to some. I just arrived Eleuthera yesterday for a stay of 10 days. Knowing that the new Flats Fishing Regulations came into law on the 9th I was concerned about getting the license and where to get it. You can't get it online yet and I was worried that the Administrative offices would have no clue or means to issue one. At the same time I was still concerned that some official there would be going around fining fishermen without the lisence
The trip is not all fishing. My neice is getting married. My wife is helping out with the wedding plans and she was working with a concierge service on the island. I emailed and asked about the lisence and the concierge said she would see about getting me one. I sent scanned and sent her a filled out application form and a copy of my passport.
When we arrived I called her and she had gotten me a lisence or at least the next best thing. As I feared there was no official setup on the island yet to issue a lisence but Menishca, the concierge, had gotten me a receipt with my name on it that read "Fee received for DIY fly fishing". It was issued by Governers Harbor administrative office and had their stamp on it. She told me to keep that with me along with a copy of the application I had filled out and my ID.
I think mine was the first lisence issured on Eleuthera. Mensicha Barr was a great help with this. I would have hated to try and do it on my own. If others want some peace of mind while trying to fish Eleuthera you can contact Minsicha by email at
pyrconcierge.eleuthera@gmail.com.
Anyway I got the license yesterday and was fishing this morning not worrying about being cited and paying a $250 fine. Conditions poor and not fish yet but hopeful.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:22 PM

Swalt,

I'll be in Eleuthera for a week starting Saturday. Is there an application online?

Thanks for the heads-up. While I expect noone will ever get hired to trudge out in the flats of Deep Creek asking for a license or any of the other fishing spots and beaches for that matter I don't mind at all paying for the privilege of enjoying the fishery.

Meet at Tippy's for a chat?

Marty
Old 01-17-2017, 04:46 PM

Marty,
Just got on my computer for the first time today and saw you had just left a message. The information on the new regulations is on the Bahamas Gvt site.

Bahamas.gov.bs

Look on the right side of the front page under "notices".
The link to the application itself is really long and would take a lot of space here.
If you can't find it pm me an email addy and I will send you the document.

Like you I do not mind paying for a license to fish there and do not think anyone will be handing out citations but it's the Bahamas and you never know.

The wedding guests arrive and events start Saturday. The wedding is not till Tuesday so I could possibly meet Monday am.

The fishing has been poor but I have enjoyed getting out and wading the flats. I think the water is just too cool up on the flats right now. I am seeing far fewer fish than I have seen before on the same flats.

Walt
Old 01-18-2017, 03:12 PM

Understood. I like the tides for next week. Hopefully the water will warm up as the low tide nears noon. Anyway, I'll try to touch base when I get settled.

Thanks and good luck with everything.

Marty
Old 02-01-2017, 07:35 PM

Finding the Flats Fishing license application online is fairly simple. Filled mine out but kept forgetting to bring it to the government building in Governor's Harbour.

It was a simple deal to enter the building, walk upstairs to the Commissioners Office (?), get the form, fill it out in less than a minute, then take it downstairs to the finance office. Hand the lady $20, get it stamped and go fishing. Admittedly, I was without the license the first 3-4 days last week.

There was a little trouble in Savannah Sound when I was fishing. A woman picked up a female hitchhiker in GH and was driving to SS. The driver was robbed and the other woman stabbed her 3 times and ran into the woods near the sound. A truckload of guys warned me to keep a look out and make sure my car was locked. She was caught that night. Apparently just released from Nassau on an attempted murder charge.

Whew.