Forum Navigation

Search

Old 09-10-2017, 08:10 AM

picky peanuts

When I got to the beach in Sandwich yesterday, a guy was just releasing a fish. Good juju! As i reached the waters edge his buddy had one on. Then another 2 guys came and fished with them; and nothing was caught by anyone for the next hour or so. They left and I moved on. Down the beach a ways I saw some birds and stripers breaking in fairly close. As I waded out I could see the gazillion little baitfishes that they were feeding on. I thought they were sand eels. So I tied on a sand eel type fly, waded out, got my casts into the melee and nothing. Did that for a bit , nothing, another fly nothing; but as I was reeling in I snagged one of the baitfish...peanut bunker. Tied on sort of a pb looking fly (a tannish crazy charlie), nothing. I then dug deep into my fly box and found a better likeness to a pb. Fished that for a while and still nada. My fly was in the hot spots many times and still no hits. By that time the tide was coming in such that I had to retreat back towards shore and out of casting range, and that was it.
So I don't know if they didn't like my fly tying style or what; but they were sure awfully picky today...
Old 09-10-2017, 08:58 AM

Sandwich does appear to be holding schools of peanut bunker. I have gotten a few small bass on a white fly. Although the bass are feeding there seems to be a lot more bait than bass.