Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-12-2017, 07:20 AM

2017 First Keeper

Striper season has gotten off to a good start for me. I have been catching but the Stripers have been small some 12 inches or even less. I’ve gotten only a few mid 20 inch fish the biggest about 27 inches and that was at least two weeks ago. Saturday evening I fished an estuary, creek mouth and beach here on Cape Cod’s bayside. Early on I fished the beach and got nothing, other fisherman (spin and fly) didn’t appear to be hooking up either. I walked back into the estuary at just about low tide and found a bunch of little stripers holding in deeper pools and a flat that faced a tight out flow. As the tide changed to incoming I headed back to the Beach…nothing much but more small stripers. All but one other fisherman was gone and he was quite a distance away.

At just about 8:30 I got a light hit (nothing special) and the fish turned. The fly line emptied from my stripping basket and backing shortly thereafter. Backing continued to exit at a steady pace. I palmed the reel to put more pressure on the fish but backing was still heading out into Cape Cod Bay (that’s a good thing). I got concerned about being spooled then the fish stopped and the fight became more about constant pressure. The Striper did not have more than that one good run.

My knots held and I was able to beach the fish. It was a couple of inches shy of the second eye on my TICRX so I am estimating it to be about 36 inches. The Striper was fat and bright. I needed two hands to get in back into the water.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:58 AM

Good going!
Old 06-12-2017, 06:22 PM

That's one heck of a fish Rich . Haven't caught a fish that size in years , way to go !
Old 06-13-2017, 08:13 PM

Excellent! Thank you for sharing. Those are the kind of stories and experiences that keep you going.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Nice going, That wil lbe a fine memory of this summer.