Forum Navigation

Search

Old 07-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Steelheader & Albieholic

Rhode Island Fall???

Well, it's been a while (10+ years) since I have been out east. A divorce, marriage, and two kids later I have recently been planning my triumphant return to chase albies, blues, and stripers in South County. Alas, I am now hearing that the once predictable schoolie striper fishing has become challenging as numbers have declined??? Say it ain't so...

Has it really declined to the point that smaller bass inside ponds, creeks, and breachways have all but disappeared? Are the albies still making solid appearances off the West Wall and the breachways? Bluefish still gorging on bunker in the bay?

Considering I have invited a fellow longrodder that has never caught any of the above species, I feel like this is the point where I have to set realistic expectations based on current stocks, and not on my memories of 2006.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Do I still plan move forward with the trip as planned?
Old 07-13-2017, 01:53 AM

The best fishery we have right now is the albie run. Plan on mid September. In most cases to be successful you need a boat. The West Wall was disappointing last season. There should be small blues in the mix too.
October brings small schoolies.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:51 AM

Generally speaking in June the Cape was filthy with small schoolies this year. You can read my fishing reports below. Shore fishing for small to mid-size schoolies was the best in decades......for everyone. I would be very surprised if that did not repeat itself for the fall run. But that is just a guess.

http://www.flyfishingfotography.com

http://flyfishingfotography.smugmug.com/

Here's looking at you...kid

Old 07-13-2017, 08:15 AM
Steelheader & Albieholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatricelli View Post
Generally speaking in June the Cape was filthy with small schoolies this year. You can read my fishing reports below. Shore fishing for small to mid-size schoolies was the best in decades......for everyone. I would be very surprised if that did not repeat itself for the fall run. But that is just a guess.
Thanks, that is very encouraging. We will be flexible on location and may even spend a night or two on the Cape as well. We leave here in October 4th and return on October 9th, basically a "Hail Mary" run out east that will allow 4 solid days of fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcastafly
The best fishery we have right now is the albie run. Plan on mid September. In most cases to be successful you need a boat.
Has the fishery changed in the last 10-15 years? Do the fish not come close to shore anymore? I used to go out the first week of October just about every year in the early-mid 2000's and we always caught (or at least had excellent shots at) albies on foot

Thanks guys!