Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 03-28-2017, 06:15 PM

Anyone with experience on/owning a Parker 21 or 23 SE?

I'm looking for some local feedback on owning a Parker SE, the modified V model, not the deep V.

My next boat will need to be able to fish the shallows of Cape Cod bay, hit Race Point and further out on nice days, and double as a family boat as needed. Boston Harbor on occasion, though won't be slipped here.

I was considering used Jones Brothers, but their narrower beam is less attractive and the Parker 21 SE caught my eye at the boat show. A lot of boat and makes the Jones seem overpriced to me. The 23 SE with 200hp certainly increases price, but I don't want 2-foot-itis and want a boat that will last a long, long time. The sharper bow of the 23 supposedly helps in a chop, despite still being a 14 degree hull.

I was hoping anyone local has experience on either boat, good or bad, or something similar that I may be over-looking. Can't wait to get back on the water, though may still be next season for me.

Hall
Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 AM
Chatham Fisherman

both are so you're not going to go wrong with either. I have a 2012 21SE and I've demoed the 20 cape fisherman and 1910 LT extensively. I went with the parker because I got a great deal on a leftover. The 21SE is a lot bigger than the 20CF. The extra foot of LOA and 6" of beam really show. I don't think the 21SE rides any better than the 20CF though. The narrowness of the CF helps its ride. If you're going out to race point or further on a regular basis I'd want the parker for her bigger bow and more weight. The 21SE floats really skinny too. If you're looking used I'd definitely look at the 23CF or even the parker 23SE. Once in the used market the delta in price seems to fade quite a bit. All four boats are using more or less the same power so at least you're set there. I will say that the newer consoles (2011 and newer) on the parkers are worth having if those years are in your price range. Storage is a problem on all of these boats and the newer parker console helps a lot.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmike View Post
both are so you're not going to go wrong with either. I have a 2012 21SE and I've demoed the 20 cape fisherman and 1910 LT extensively. I went with the parker because I got a great deal on a leftover. The 21SE is a lot bigger than the 20CF. The extra foot of LOA and 6" of beam really show. I don't think the 21SE rides any better than the 20CF though. The narrowness of the CF helps its ride. If you're going out to race point or further on a regular basis I'd want the parker for her bigger bow and more weight. The 21SE floats really skinny too. If you're looking used I'd definitely look at the 23CF or even the parker 23SE. Once in the used market the delta in price seems to fade quite a bit. All four boats are using more or less the same power so at least you're set there. I will say that the newer consoles (2011 and newer) on the parkers are worth having if those years are in your price range. Storage is a problem on all of these boats and the newer parker console helps a lot.
Thanks for the response. Probably going to jump for new based on the Parker improvements lately and engine warranty. 23Se starts getting expensive, 21se seems like a great value though not cheap. (23 is about 16k more with similar options but with 200hp). I keep reading JB ride better because of less beam but I'd prefer the width. My 19' Mako was 8 5' and I don't want to go back.

Doubling as a family boat, the recent Parker's seem more finished than the JB, have local dealer support, and my wife liked them. I can't argue those points.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:26 AM
Chatham Fisherman

Take a look at the aft seating in the new 21se's they put a sort of bench seat on the transom that soaks up a lot of space.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmike View Post
Take a look at the aft seating in the new 21se's they put a sort of bench seat on the transom that soaks up a lot of space.
I have two 3 year olds and 2 dogs. Like the space of the 23 but closed transom of the 21. I liked casting from the raised euro transom of my Mako too, so not a deal breaker.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:32 PM

I would recommend you take a look at a Sea Hunt before you go with a parker...excellent boat and may save you a ton of money....
Old 05-02-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffyB View Post
I would recommend you take a look at a Sea Hunt before you go with a parker...excellent boat and may save you a ton of money....
Thanks for rec, I'll have to look into them. On first glance they certainly don't seem less expensive, at least new. I do like the low deadrise of the Parker for Cape beach and flats use though.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:43 AM

Friend had a 23se. Don't like Parkers.....to much money with no storage. If you're going to get one, get the deep V. Se's are a little rough riding. Can get a good boat with storage and fish box for less money. Look at Grady's for about the same money. Parkers are work boats.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Friend had a 23se. Don't like Parkers.....to much money with no storage. If you're going to get one, get the deep V. Se's are a little rough riding. Can get a good boat with storage and fish box for less money. Look at Grady's for about the same money. Parkers are work boats.
Happen to know what year? Current has a huge console with potti, bow box, and plenty of under gunale rod storage. I'm actually not looking for a deep V because of shallow use and dry mooring at half tide. Jones is even narrower and less storage.

Grady is a lot more money though I'd consider used. My friends 209 is small. Also a deep V.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:51 AM
Chatham Fisherman

They changed the consoles in 2014 to have a ton more storage
Old 05-22-2017, 11:08 AM

Jones Brother

Seems like you've written off a Jones Brother but back in 2013 I did a ton of research, took a couple of each onto the water, and fell in love with the 23' Jones Brother. Called up Donny Jones and had a boat built to my spec (no T-top, leaning post, lots of storage) with a 200 HP Yamaha. Absolutely love it. I keep it on MVY and use it with my two boys, wife, and occasionally throw our Lab mix on it. I know a lot of people with Parkers and they are certainly good boats too. But don't necessarily completely overlook the Jones Bros.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelso View Post
Seems like you've written off a Jones Brother but back in 2013 I did a ton of research, took a couple of each onto the water, and fell in love with the 23' Jones Brother. Called up Donny Jones and had a boat built to my spec (no T-top, leaning post, lots of storage) with a 200 HP Yamaha. Absolutely love it. I keep it on MVY and use it with my two boys, wife, and occasionally throw our Lab mix on it. I know a lot of people with Parkers and they are certainly good boats too. But don't necessarily completely overlook the Jones Bros.
I haven't been on our around a Jones 23, but there are also no local dealers for sales and support. I think the Parker has a more family friendly finish now, and I do like the extra beam of the Parker. My 19 Mako was 8'6. I originally was hunting for a Jones until I took a closer look at the Parker's.

I do like the composite stringers a lot... Wish I could see a 23 with factory Ttop local. Top is a must. Good problems to have I suppose.