Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-27-2018, 05:59 PM

Sight Fishing Snook - Naples

Sight fishing using a fly rod is for me a difficult but rewarding type of fishing. The fish usually see me about the same time as I see them and that’s not a good thing. Lately the beach I fish most often has seen cold, stained water and a persistent red tide. None of these factors had me in a particularly optimistic mood this morning but an off shore breeze and sunny conditions were helpful.

As I started the walk I stayed a bit above the waterline looking into the wash for snook. I walked about a half mile and didn’t see anything but there was a considerable amount of bait. As I approached a small flat I fished the trough and made my way out to the flat. On the flat I stayed in about shin deep water and worked my way across it blind casting and fan casting to deeper water….nothing. I made a cast to my left started the retrieve and to my right about 20 feet away I saw a big snook.

The snook saw me and started for deeper water. Frustrating…and then a hit and my line quickly left my basket. The fish ran and I was into my backing. A couple of the runs were into even shallow water. The fish jumped a couple of times. The dark lateral line clearly indicated I had a snook. I was feeling good about the catch when the line popped. I reeled in a shredded leader. I had one more shot at a cruising fish but that was it.

As the water gets warmer next month I’m hoping for more snook cruising the beach.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:37 PM

Problem fighting snook is as soon as they head away from you and the line runs along their flanks those razor-sharp gills will destroy a tippet. If you don't already you'll want a section of heavy line at the end of your leader.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:18 AM

I was in Naples for the past 6 weeks. Red tide has been bad. The last day at Barefoot Beach Preserve there were lots of dead catfish (?) washing up on the beach.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:17 AM

As JSeamens said......for snook you need a bite tippet. Not as heavy as tarpon.....for the same size......but something that can withstand a lot of abrasion for a few minutes. 40# test Maxima has always worked for me.....for snook up to 37". Sometimes you have to change it after catching one fish. And, that size will survive smallish 'cuda.

But......last week while fishing for snook with 40# Maxima......put on brand new......I hooked a 20# tarpon instead. Fish popped off on the 10th jump and the leader came back abraided thru. Damn! I wanted a picture!

I think into the future that for known poons it is going to be 80# bite tippet and for snook with a possibility of poons it is going to have to be 60# and a prayer.

I personally don't buy the snook gill slashing theory.....altho they certainly do have a knife sharp cutter there and probably know how to use it defensively....against other fish. But looking at leaders.....both intact and parted, seems to me always to be a pure abrasion issue and not sharp-cut as in the appearance with a 'cuda cut-off.

http://www.flyfishingfotography.com

http://flyfishingfotography.smugmug.com/

Here's looking at you...kid

Old 05-10-2018, 09:46 PM

I was down there two weeks ago on a business trip and dead fish all over the beach from the red tide. Not great for the beach business.

How is the sight fishing in early December? I'll be back in the Naples area for a few days.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:02 AM

I am not in Naples in December. I have been told December is slow for sight fishing Snook off the beach. The water in December is starting to get colder, becomes less clear and bait is not abundant. The Snook have moved into the warmer back waters.

The Red Tide this year was awful in Naples. The air at the beaches caused many people to cough (including me) and the dead fish resulted in some bad odors.

Last edited by bucko; 05-11-2018 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: detail