Forum Navigation

Search

Old 06-17-2017, 01:31 PM

DUX/PLY Report 6/17

Hit the water at 5am to try and find macs. No one home. We scored 1 in an hour of jigging and trolling. Didn't see any other boats catch a single one, and heard the same was true for yesterday. Rumors of bluefish 2 days ago off SCI might have driven them away. Headed inside with our 1 tinker mac. Immediate hit, nice 26 inch fish. With no more bait, we aimed for the inner harbor to try and find pogies that I've been seeing in the early mornings. Didn't find any today. Ran to a local rip and proceeded to catch about 12 micro bass on light tackle. Fun, but they are only 12-18 inch fish. Hoping the macs aren't gone for the season, but a weak mac season may have just turned to crap. Where are all the 26 inch fish from last year, that should now be small keepers? Slow spring inside the bays.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Administrator

The lack of macks may be why your not seeing the bigger fish. I have a couple charter friends that are doing very well on large fish where there is bait.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:16 AM
Reel-Timer

Thanks for this post. A week ago had a similar situation with Macs.....after having 80 in the freezer, couldn't find one in 2 hours!!!!

Fortunately had frozen bait. While some others boats we both know did not do well, landed this fish and was most pleased ...

Have not been out in almost 2 weeks due to pt work that seems to have become full time!!! This needs to change!

Our bay has been off/on this year. Not consistent and no topwater nation.Name:  IMG_1380.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  393.3 KB
Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 AM

Nice Bass.

Are you seeing the 10-14 inch fish we have been getting on the Cape?
Old 06-19-2017, 12:21 PM

Thousands of micros. Been years since I've caught this many 12" bass
Old 06-19-2017, 02:36 PM

Agree with the sentiments on the micros- they are everywhere in both Dux/Ply/Kingston bays and in Scituate waters- not sure if they are simply beating the larger fish to the baits or if the larger specimens are simply not around like they should be (and considering the perceived lack of inshore mackerel in local waters I suspect the larger bass will stay a bit offshore on the feed)...

I've made probably 5-6 boat trips down to Plymouth this year and had one "lights out" morning fishing solo and caught over 20 fish with at least a dozen in the 26-32" range, but most of the time it has been a struggle finding anything above the 10-15" range. There have been a couple of productive rips that have held a loner large schoolie/barely legal bass, but they seem few & far between. I will say that these tiny fish are suckers for the new Hogy Pro Tail series 1.5 oz 4.5" size.

At least the surf fishing has picked up a bit recently with a few fish in the high teens/low 20 # class stirring around under the cloak of darkness...bone & blurple redfins have been the ticket for some better fish.

I did get lucky yesterday early evening as a buddy called me to advise of some cooperative small fish in the area that were taking sluggo's in the wash, so I headed down to meet him for a bit and decided to throw a pencil popper out into the surf. Maybe 20 minutes later I got absolutely slammed by a very quality fish. a couple minutes later I had the fish on the beach and took some measurements- 42", 25" girth (needed the girth as she bottomed out my 30# boga grip)...a bit over 32#

Weeks of sleep deprivation, walking around like a barely functioning zombie at work, 3:30 AM alarm clocks for early boat launches, cat naps after work so I can get out in the surf for a few hours and still squeeze in 4 hours of sleep before work...and my first surf 30 of the year comes while the sun is still up and I'm wearing a bathing suit and flip flops...figures