Forum Navigation

Search

Old 01-02-2001, 12:22 PM

Cherokee Sound, Abaco

Planning a trip to Bahamas in the Spring. Has anyone fished/stayed in Cherokee Sound? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Eddie
Old 01-04-2001, 01:21 AM
Publisher

RE: Cherokee Sound, Abaco

I stayed on elbow key, and out island in te archipelago east of Abaco. It's about six miles long with english descendent population.

I rented a 17 foot whaler and we found some fish on our own. We saw much more water with a guide we fished with, and had a couple of hookups. We actually fished with the guides along the east shore of abaco.

Hope that helps...I'm thinking about Georgetown myself.

Thorne
Old 01-05-2001, 12:23 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

eddie,
as i posted on the new england forum, i've been to and fished cherokee several times.
i've tried to send you the links, but your e-mail address isn't working.

let me knoe
bobG
Old 01-08-2001, 05:15 PM

Bob,

Try gcwilk@mindspring.com. Thanks again, any info on place to stay, guides (I was told $175/day in Cherokee??), etc. would be great.

EddieD
Old 01-08-2001, 08:53 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

eddie,
i'll be happy to send you the links but one thing you must know about cherokee sound, is an ultra remote, ultra queit "out-post" like village in southern abaco. everyone there, is literally related to each oher, if you get my drift. there is a home for rent, as you'll see at the bottom of the link. and its actually right on the flats. but other than that, there are NO ammenities in cherokee. i doubt you could find an actual guide.
check out Netties Difference Of Abaco. it's a very nice bonefish lodge, right up the road from cherokee. the guides fish cherokee all the time. this is a real 1st class operation. my wife and i ate lunch there a few years back. the film crew from CNN was there, doing a bonefishing segment. they interviewed me, and took some pics of me eating some conch fritters, but saddly, i never made it on the air.:(
eddie, there is another lodge which just opened on sandy ground, abaco. about 20 miles south, of cherokee. we've never stayed there. however, i've been to this part af abaco, and it is .....STUNNING!
the bonefishing is very undscovered. also, if there is good weather, your guide can take the 10 miles out to the legendary moore island. i'll also try and send that link. bobG

Old 02-17-2002, 03:37 AM

Im scheduled to fish Cherokee in Apr 02 with three others. Im the hanger-on--don't know anything about the area and not much about bonefish. Any suggestions for a novice about preparations, equipment, flies, etc. ?