Forum Navigation

Search

Old 02-21-2001, 08:58 AM

sailing around the british virgin islands

I am going to tortola on March 8 and was wondering what flies I should bring I will have my 10 wt and my 8wt I will bring some store bought bonefish flies and some tarpon flies but what ones would be best, I was wondering if there was any permit opportunities or large jacks I know there are many barracuda in the area. I have heard jacks are not picky about what fly they want is this true? we will be trolling heavy gear in between islands any trolling lure suggestions I think we will have some ballyhoo rigged. thanks for the help. Jim
Old 02-21-2001, 02:36 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

RE: sailing around the british virgin islands

i don't know about flats fishing in the BVI's; but make sure you're at the Bomba Shack for the full moon party. by the way, be ready for some monster wahoo if you're trolling.
Old 02-27-2001, 08:05 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

jim,

we've been to tortola five times over they years. there are quite a few tarpon to be found. they are actually often right in the surf, like large stripers! i've hooked many, lost all. they av between 40-70 pounds. i've never landed one, not even close.
they are most often found in smugglers cove. but i've also seen the in apple bay (right behind the bomba shack), and on elizabeth beach.

as for bonefish...the opportunities are few, but they can be had. the flats directly north of the beef island bridge has bones. it's tough wading here, lots of mud, muck, and coral. wear flats boots!
another spot are the flats at the end of beef island. drive out to a beach shack named the "loose mongoose", and continue on the sand road which goes right to the end. there are a nice series of flats here. i've seen some large bones here.
lastly, there is another spot called buck island. in a section of the island called "long look" take a dirt road to a gate. ere are coffee trees right at the gate. open the gate (it's ok), and drive to the water. you'll see an abandoned bridge project. they is a "pocket flat " here covered with turtle grass. real nice spot, but small.
OR, just take a five minute flight over to anegada, and hook up with my old buddy garfield faulkner for some real bonefishing.
Old 02-28-2001, 11:32 AM

thanks for the info it will be very helpful.
Old 02-28-2001, 06:26 PM

Bob G is right on the locations for Tarpon! I just got back from 7 days on Tortola and I actually landed 1 Tarpon at Long Bay Beach - 45". Great fight. They are right off the beach - no more than 15 feet from shore!! Lost 2 others MUCH larger. Also caught 3 bonefish at the same location. All fish caught on 4 inch rubber shads; pearl with black back with 3/8oz jig head. One of the bonefish was approx 2 feet - great fight. Caught many other VERY strange looking fish - most with teeth. One I heard was poisonous. Bob G. thanks again. If it wasn't for the info you posted on the OTHER board about fishing BVI, I would never have caught!
I has just convert6ed from bait fishing to lure fishing.
Also bonefish are ALWAYS present from in front of the Bomba shack to the end of beach (towards Long Bay Beach).
Old 03-04-2001, 01:55 PM

I recently stayed at Elizabeth (or Lambert Beach) its the same place. The fishing is difficult due to rough water, but the fish are there. On the first day a school of something came about 200 feet offshore, it looked for the world like a Spanish Mackeral feeding frenzy but as I didn't catch anything I can't be sure. Sitting on the rocks I was able to spot several large barracudas, but not much else. I kept hearing about Tarpon from the locals but didn't see any. I suppose it would have been worthwhile to get a guide but I only saw one flyfishing outfitter advertising and the rates were quite high, 450 for a half day and 800 for a full day.