Forum Navigation

Search

Old 03-18-2001, 03:20 PM

Cinder worm patterns?

<P><FONT color=black face=Verdana,Geneva size=2>Does anyone have any patterns for cinder worms? I'm anticipating the spring worm hatches and can't really find much. Curt at The Sporting Life in Mashpee recommended red marabou tail, red estaz body, green estaz head and black thread on a #1 Mustad 34007. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.</FONT></P><P><FONT face=Verdana size=2>DCC</FONT></P><P><P><FONT color=green face="Bookman Old Style"><STRONG>David Churbuck</STRONG></FONT></P><PRE><A href="mailto:dchurbuck@forbes.com">dchurbuck@forbe s.com</A></PRE>
Old 03-19-2001, 02:20 PM
If It Swims I'll Catch It

RE: Cinder worm patterns?

Your on the right track. There is, like most patterns, many variations.

I tie cider worms on size 1 Mustad hooks.

For "tails" I use red zonker strips, red marabou, and short red hackles

For the body I use red fly yarn, palmered red hackle, and EZ shape body sparkle

For the head black thread built up or red EZ shape body sparkle body.
Old 03-21-2001, 11:10 AM

Dave -

I tried to e-mail you Re: Cinder Worms, but it keeps coming back to me. Send me an e-mail and I'll forward the info to you again...

Captdave@baymenflyfishing.com
Old 03-25-2001, 04:15 PM

Dave- I have used the Black Blossom fly for a good imitation of the worms. Really easy to tie and almost the right diameter to imitate the little wigglers. rel
Old 03-26-2001, 09:11 AM

<P><FONT color=black face=Verdana,Geneva size=2>Thanks for the feedback! I'll ask about how to time and find a hatch in a different mail. I've only come across one in my life -- it was in Cotuit Bay, late afternoon, mid-May. And fortunately, I had a few flies given to me by Dave Peros. I've been tying off of my dim memory of those.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=Verdana size=2>dcc</FONT></P>
Old 03-26-2001, 09:29 AM

DAve- I've only seen one hatch myself but had luck with worm flies when someone said they were hatching yet I didn't see any. The hatch I saw was at Seapowet on a quarter moon tide but the night was really calm and humid. It came about the end of June 2 years ago. The hatches I've fished at Mill Gut were likewise on calm nights with high humidity but generally around the new or full moon from late May into early July. ron
Old 03-28-2001, 02:42 AM

Dave,

I have seen many hatches and in my opinion the most productive time seems to be 3-4 days up to a new moon and 3-4 days following it. Late May to the end of June in my area,it may differ in your area,but it seems that it would be a good starting time in the northeast.I too have seen them during the day but much more often at night.Tide also seems to effect the hatches,as i have not seen a hatch starting untill about an hour in to outgoing. Plan your trips for the start of outgoing,at night and around the new or full moon and you should do well.Everybody has their favorite retrive but your best bet is to find your own, starting slowly and working up speed.

Capt.Dale

Old 03-29-2001, 09:55 AM

<P>Cap:</P>
<P>Thanks for the advice on timing the hatch. It matches up with my experience but puts some concrete observations on it.</P>
<P>What does a hatch look like? Being nighttime I imagine it is difficult to see the worms doing the nasty. Do they swarm on the surface or form a bait ball underneath? Does the angler cast the fly into the middle of the action or work the edges?</P>
<P>Sorry for all the questions, it's just after a decade of hearing about the phenomenon and only catching it once, I want to make sure I don't do over-prepare and windup with a couple dozen bushy cinder flies when a few will do.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>dcc</P>
<P>David Churbuck</P>
<P>david@churbuck.com</P>
Old 03-30-2001, 02:30 AM

Dave,

First off, Dave, find a spot that has a good over head lighting, like a marina, in an area that you know to have had good hatches.Talk to local Fly/Tackle shops they will be able to help.Then start looking for them on the nights that you think they will be there. Start five or six days before the moon. When you see one worm it is worth the time to stay for at least an hour, you will probably see more.It's kind of hard to explain what a hatch looks like. Some worms are on top causing v-wakes while some will be spinning in circles. I guess they are from top to bottom. They are not packed tight like peanut bunker,they are spread out but still there in large numbers.It is really a sight to see Bass in all size ranges rolling in shallow water under the "lights" feeding on the worms.I have seen Bass from about 12 inches to about 40 inches in the same area feeding on the swarms.It may seem that the lights would cause larger fish to shy away but I have seen them on boat ramps feeding like Trout on nymphs.Bass make a very distinct slurping sound when they are feeding on cinder worms and as you learn this sound you can follow the fish out of the light. Be sure fish the edges of of the light.Often times it is possible to cast to crusing fish while sometimes you cast to a "slurp".Bring a mini mag light and use it to watch the water for the swarms and Bass.Once you know what it is like to fish the hatch in the light it is an easy transition to the dark.The closer you get to the moon the more intense the hatches get and it seems the more selective the fish get.Hatches are my favorite early season trips.As for flies the one I use,in different sizes,has a red marabou tail(with flashabou),a bright red chenille body with a black ice chenille head(aprox.1/4 inch).Lefty Kreh's book(Saltwater fly Patterns)has a fly called the palo worm which would work as well as the worm fly in the same book.Dixon's Devel worm(I think see Orvis)is also a good pattern.Above all the best way to do well during a hatch is to experence as many as you can and learn from each one. It is not all smoke and mirrors it is effort.

Cappt.Dale

Old 03-30-2001, 09:18 AM

<P>Awesome advice. Thanks. I have seen worms doing the spinning thing under the street light on the town dock here in Cotuit and wondered what they were. Now I know. Last question, retrieve and line set up. Floating line, and let it drift or intermediate and slow strip it in. I suspect that you don't want to line the worms and spook the feeding fish.</P>
<P>dcc</P>
<P>
<P><FONT face="Bookman Old Style" color=green><STRONG>David Churbuck, Reel-Time</STRONG></FONT></P><PRE><A href="mailto:david@churbuck.com">david@churbuck.co m</A></PRE>
Old 04-24-2001, 11:52 AM
Administrator

I've only seen one hatch, it was in very late afternoon. Worms scattered all over the shallows. I did not have a worm fly but noticed the reddish pink color and used a small sculpin fly. Floating line. cast and twitch. Fish too busy feeding to be spooked. Heck I tossed the fly in the water after removing from a fish, released the fish, pick up the rod and had another fish. I'v made a bunch using yarns and malibu but don't know if they'll work.