Forum Navigation

Search

Old 05-18-2001, 11:02 PM

Nantucket 5/18

This has been a great week for fishing here on the island! As hard as it is to believe, there are more of us fishing from shore than from boats right now and we have been doing great. I even got my first striper on the fly this morning and had 5 more on tonight that I lost through indecision (I couldn't decide whether to go to the reel or not) or faulty tippet material.
One of the other guides from the shop took a favorite client out on the boat this morning. They ended up catching 17 fish with 2 keepers in the lot. At one point, they had the boat as shallow as it could go while the stripers pushed bait up onto shore in front of them.
Now to let out all the secrets. Both stripers and blues are being caught with fairly good consistancy all along the South shore with Nobadeer, Miacomet Pond, and the outside of Smith's Point being the hot spots. I have seen fish in the surf at Nobadeer and Eel Point. There are stripers in Madaket Harbor, Nantucket Harbor, and even though huge parts of Great Point have been closed down, I've heard rumor of some good sized fish being landed out there also.
It seems that a person can hit the shore almost anywhere, any time that the water is moving and get into some fish. Chartrues Clousers are the fly of choice and Joppa Jigs, swimming plugs or castmasters being the lure of choice with the spinning folks. It's looking like time to make up an excuse to come on out and enjoy some great early season fishing here on the island.

Tight Lines and Good Luck,
Shane